anybody got any ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to separate a barrel (55gal) of brass to get rid of the rimfires.
any ideas?
So far, all I have come up with is making a sifter out of some 1x4's and some metal cloth with about 5/16" squares.

I can remove steel with magnet and aluminum blazers are pretty easy to see.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats going to be a tough one. The .22's tend to hide in the bigger rounds, the 9mm hides in the .40's, and so on.

Midway sells some plastic trays to sift the different calibers. One still has to go through it, and separate the smaller calibers that slide into each other. I'm thinking you have several evenings ahead of you.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Dennis's suggestion and according to the manufacturer, "If you sort before tumbling as is recommended, most shells that are inside of each other will come apart with the shaking and are sorted correctly. However, if you tumble first, those are likely to jam together with small bits of media, and sometimes those require a pliers.

http://www.shellsorter.com/Whatisit/what is it.html

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with dennis too. Sounds like a perfect time to pay a couple young kids to seperate the brass. There will be more than 1 lesson learned. I almost did the same but something didnt seem right about it.

Double_tap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Move it into the living room and sort while you watch TV?

I agree with the others that hand sorting may be the only way to get rid of offending rimfires.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, there is a use for children after all.... Yeah, we run a magnet and then use one of those shell sorters. Separate out the junk and sell the good stuff. Wear gloves.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used an oscillating fan cover for this.
tape up the center and along the outside edges the .22 rimfires will drop through...380 and 25auto will not pass through.
fan cover.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another method
Use a plastic container be it a 5 gallon round or flat storage tote.
take a screwdriver or some steel rod that is larger than the .22 but smaller than the smallest centerfire you want to keep.

Now heat the metal rod or screwdriver with a propane torch or on the stove..heat about 1" of the end of it.

Push this through the container from the inside out... Not only do you need to make a hole but you need to make the hole long like a slot..will work much better like this..
Or if you have a drill you can drill it and pull the drill to make a slot..
But remove any burrs especially the ones that stick up into the container..as those will not allow the rimfires to pass through.
Lots of holes of course...have fun..
I use the above method of heating a knife with a torch to cut plastics especially to cut a dash to install a radio that does not fit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom