Anybody have any experiance with metal roof for a hame?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a metal roof installed about 3 years ago and love it. It is initially more expensive than shingles but pays of in other ways. Most are guaranteed for 20-30 years and the hail has to be really big before you suffer any damage. My homeowner's premium decreased by 20%, once the agent inspected the new roof. I would never put another composition roof on a building.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah we haven't had any hail damage it is just annoying to listen to and the big rain drops kind of get loud but right now I don't think I would care how big the rain drops are.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My parents are in the process of installing a metal roof right now and my stepdad can verify the slickness. Other than that, I suspect it's going to be a very good decision as the things last forever.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i did a bunch of research recently when i had to get a new roof put on (we are still waiting for the contractor to get to us).

Right now, with the cost of composites going up, we were quoted the same price for a metal roof as a asphalt shingle one here.

Some of the benefits of the metal roof we have been told include slightly lower cooling costs (since the metal roof wont hold the heat in the same way a shingle roof will), longer lifespan (better resale value) and insurance breaks since it wont depreciate.

My in-laws have one on their cabin and they have loved it so far. Just be careful when comparing estimates. The gauge of the metal varies from roofer to roofer and changes the price, which can make it difficult to compare. As does standing seam vs. exposed screw instillation.

kgoodrich

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have been wondering for some years about metal roofs and the question to me has always been. If you paint said roof white will it help with heat and such. Or maby im just being stupid and would not have any effects what so ever?

Latest posts

Top Bottom