Anybody here use Starlink?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did another speed test this afternoon while streaming Redzone. I assume usage is kinda heavy on Sunday afternoon and it was 187MBPS. Pretty good IMO. My two tests with it in the air have been about 30mbps faster than my last test with it on the ground.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you satisfied with the Starlink service to date?

Starlink is hands down better than any internet we’ve ever had, and there’s been no problems so far.
My oldest son is here from Dallas and is shocked at how fast it is. :thumb:

I am in agreement with @retrieverman. There is no physical hook up available where I live; no cable, no fiberoptic, nothing like that.

Previous to Starlink my internet was around 2.5 Mbps download. Yes, two and a half. Sometimes I used all of it...

Now with Starlink I have never had under 35 Mbps, and usually well over 50. Triple digit speeds are not unusual.

Yes, it's $120/month, yes one has to purchase the equipment.

However...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing stopping me from purchasing this service is will it work with WiFi security cams.
I have one heck of a setup and don’t want to neutralize it because of the latency issues we had trying Hughes.

J-pitch

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I could get cable or some type of physical connection internet I would.

It's just not available where I live. It's satellite or wifi (or even worse, cell phone internet), and until Starlink satellite was very, very expensive.
The government is paying companies millions to run fiber optic in rural areas. Pioneer telephone hooked us up last year.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No doubt Starlink is far, far better and cheaper than Hughes, which we had for many years until a couple of years ago. But when OEC Fiber laid direct fiber to our house we jumped on it. 100+ up and down guaranteed for $55/month, hardware consists of a cigarette pack sized modem, and except for a couple of times where OEC Fiber did some preplanned hardware maintenance for few hours at zero dark hundred on Sunday mornings, there have been zero (repeat ZERO) outages. Right now:

oecfiber.jpg
I certainly recommend checking with OEC Fiber's service map just in case they have expanded into your area in the last few months. They operate out of the Norman area. If not, and there is no other buried fiber access available, I'm 100% onboard with Starlink being the best alternative, even if the price is a little stiffer. I especially liked chucking those roof dishes into the landfill, and do not miss having to climb up on an icy roof and clean ice and snow off them several times a winter.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The government is paying companies millions to run fiber optic in rural areas. Pioneer telephone hooked us up last year.
I have checked into this, and as far as I can ascertain there is no company planning to run any sort of fiber optic anywhere near enough to me to hook up.

I only wish there was. Hell, I'm paying for it anyway with my tax dollars.

The problem here is that there would be an empty run of about 1.5 miles to even get to the head of the (dead-end) road I live on. That empty run has maybe 3 possible hook ups on it 2 of which already have StarLink.
On this road are maybe 20 families, of which perhaps 1/4 of them would give up a 6-pack, a few packs of butts, and a pizza every month to get reliable internet.

It's just not going to pay.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have checked into this, and as far as I can ascertain there is no company planning to run any sort of fiber optic anywhere near enough to me to hook up.

I only wish there was. Hell, I'm paying for it anyway with my tax dollars.

The problem here is that there would be an empty run of about 1.5 miles to even get to the head of the (dead-end) road I live on. That empty run has maybe 3 possible hook ups on it 2 of which already have StarLink.
On this road are maybe 20 families, of which perhaps 1/4 of them would give up a 6-pack, a few packs of butts, and a pizza every month to get reliable internet.

It's just not going to pay.

This is much the situation on my street, only with five houses, two of which would not care about fiber optic. Windstream has FO in the subdivision across the street, and they’re claiming they’ll get an extension to my street sometime this year... Maybe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom