Anyone else Fly Fish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drgnracin72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started last summer up in Gunnison Colorado, and was immediately hooked. Just wondering what everyone fishes with, and what is your preference on weights depending on what your fishing? I'm fishing a Sage launch 590 5wt, 9' long, with a North Fork FlyFishing prototype large arbor, also in a 5wt.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, I tried it and it makes a good day fishing feel an awful lot like a day of work. All my fishing is done with an open face reel, I like to take it easy when I fish.

SABOT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I started last summer up in Gunnison Colorado, and was immediately hooked. Just wondering what everyone fishes with, and what is your preference on weights depending on what your fishing? I'm fishing a Sage launch 590 5wt, 9' long, with a North Fork FlyFishing prototype large arbor, also in a 5wt.

None of that makes any sense to me. Been thinking about getting into it for several years now. My BIL gave me a starter rod/reel some years ago for Christmas but it's sat in the closet ever since.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just started about three years ago. I'm using a 6wt TFO 2pc rod with a white river reel.
We have gone trout fishing at least twice a year, to lake Tanneycomo or the lower mountain fork for the last 25 years Always used spinning gear until taking the plunge. I'm finally learning presentation, mending, and the casting is coming along. I've been using a 9' tapered leader with Rio 3.2 lb tippit. I was at Tanneycomo last fall, and complained in the fly shop about all the trout coming to my zebra midge, only to swim off. The guy said they were seeing the tippet, and sold me some 2lb fluorocarbon. Immediately started catching trout, and stayed on them all day.
Pic is my favorite place to fish on Tanneycomo.

image-948049196.jpg

Last edited:

Drgnracin72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mostly use a 9' TFO lefty kreh, 6wt, for the bass around here.

Thats what my dad uses, and what I started out on last year. Except both of us are using 5 wt, as most of our fishing is up in colorado in streams, and some larger rivers. I've been thinking about getting a larger setup to do some bass fishing around here. Would be pretty fun to get ahold of an 8-10 lbs bass on the end of one of these.

Latest posts

Top Bottom