Anyone else look at Serial Numbers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at a gun show and a guy handed me a 1911 and said "whaddya gimme fer this?" I looked for the serial number, it had been ground off.....

That happened to me in Dallas once, A S&W 5909 with a small piece of black tape over where the Ser. # was!! I handed it back and said "NO Thanks" should have kept it and called security? But I just didn't want to have it in my possesion!!

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just glance at them on most to all guns...except.

1.Colt SAA
2. Colt Lighting rifles..medium and large frame
3. Winchester M97 shotguns.

These three...mainly to verify age, date of manufacturing, and to see if they've been pieced together..

Then always, always, always with classIII. Even though there have been several checks annd verifications before it gets in my hands..I check it again.

One time I had an UZI with the last three numbers with 666...the person who I bought it from nicked named it Diablo.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at a gun show in Houston. I was off to the side talking with a friend. A guy asked my brother if he wanted to buy his .357, a S&W 27. The barrel was stamped 'HPD'. My brother told him I would be interested. The guy comes over to us. I see the 'HPD' and show it to my friend, off-duty 'HPD' officer. :police2:

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I check the SN# for a completely different reason. I want to make sure the SN# means absolutely nothing to me. A weapon is a tool and I try to never let them get mythical properties associated with them. Even so I still make sure the SN# has no obvious bad JuJu like 666 etc.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I look at the S/N's on M1 Garands in the forlorn hope that I'll find a really cool one, such as the last digit repeated at least three times.

I got one of those luck of the draw from the CMP, HRA 5xxx888.

As for, do I look at serial numbers hoping for something cool or meaningful? Yep, all the time.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I check the SN# for a completely different reason. I want to make sure the SN# means absolutely nothing to me. A weapon is a tool and I try to never let them get mythical properties associated with them. Even so I still make sure the SN# has no obvious bad JuJu like 666 etc.

Have you ever heard the tale of "Little Bastard," James Dean's death car?

Latest posts

Top Bottom