Anyone else ready for Sand Bass?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never tried snagging them, but I want to go bowfishing for them this year. Hopefully I can get out and give it a shot.

I've been thinking about stickin' some paddleheads myself lately. Got this one last summer.

Attachments

• Jared1spoon.jpg
    Jared1spoon.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 130

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't believe I've ever seen anybody bow fish for spoon bill before. Congrats! We snag them below Kaw, and on the Salt Fork river. Its getting pretty expensive, as I always get one that breaks my surf rod every year, but never get to see it.
We just catch and release. I've eaten them before and find it really tasty if it is cleaned properly. Lots of fat on the fish, and if any is left on, it will make for a bad experience. I think that is where the comments I've heard from people saying they don't like the paddle fish for eating.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00575.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00573.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P5060118.jpg

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah Dennis Ive been on a couple awesome snagging trips below Kaw. Last spring I took this Gobblehead (10in hanger and 1 1/4" hooks) down by Red Rock, then went snagging below Kaw that afternoon. It was slow snagging, we only landed two Paddlefish. (I didn't land anything but a bunch of Gar.) The two we did get went 62lb and 80lb.

Attachments

• jaredturkey4.jpg
    jaredturkey4.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 126
  • larryfish1.jpg
    larryfish1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 120
  • larryfish3.jpg
    larryfish3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 113

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah Dennis Ive been on a couple awesome snagging trips below Kaw. Last spring I took this Gobblehead (10in hanger and 1 1/4" hooks) down by Red Rock, then went snagging below Kaw that afternoon. It was slow snagging, we only landed two Paddlefish. (I didn't land anything but a bunch of Gar.) The two we did get went 62lb and 80lb.

I see Larry is in the boat with you! You need to get him to take you on Lake Fork at Sooner. He will know what I'm talking about.
Thats a heck of a longbeard. Congrats!

Latest posts

Top Bottom