Anyone ever reloaded .410?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I was loading .410 it was much cheaper than buying the stuff. I would bet the same is true today.

I really enjoyed it, but I enjoy loading everything!

Because of those two reasons, I would not call it a waste of resources.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool and thanks. Just picked up my first 410 and though it is a semi-collector gun I plan to shoot it a little. Yet to be seen is if I can hit the broadside of a barn with one.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
quite a few guys at the club shoot .410. i think you use 1/2 ounce lead instead of the 3/4 or 7/8 for a 20 or 7/8 or 1 oz for a 12. So you save a lot of lead if you shoot a lot.

the trade off and where you have to calculate is the cost of new .410 shells. you can buy 12 and 20 for what $5.xx but .410 is $11/box. So you need to reload those .410 max number of times to make up for the $5/box diff in buying the shells new.

of course if you already have a bunch of .410 shells that is different.

I did the math the other day and it seemed like on the 4th or 5th reload of the .410 you could save a little money. I can't remember exactly.

At the range you can pick up 12 and 20 shells. But guys shooting .410 guard the empties like gold.

some guys have problems reloading .410 on the progressive loaders. there is not much tollerance from shell to shell. so some say buy a mec jr and load single stage.

oksmle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my SxS, O/O & single shot .410s I load .444 Marlin cases. Sometimes I have to thin the front side of the rim so they will seat properly. But they will last almost forever. So far I haven't gotten them to feed successfully in a pump or semi-auto. Nice thing is you use large rifle or pistol primers which are much cheaper than shotgun primers.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
someone at a gun show gave my son a 410 and i have bought some ammo, but have though long and hard about reloading it, he is just 4 though so it might be a couple of years before i do though, otherwise i love those little shotguns, and that round, with slugs they are like 44 mags, and let a kid use it for dove season and he hit quite well with it. so i told him if he gets good with it, he will be great with a 20 or 12.

Latest posts

Top Bottom