Anyone have experience with Safariland 6280 or 6360 holster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have narrowed down my choice between the Safariland 6280 or 6360 holster. Anyone have hands on experience? I watched a few youtube video reviews but they were kind of lame.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What specifically are you wanting to know?

I have been reading about them both and from what I can gather the 6360 is sort of the next gen of the 6280. Sometime this week I am going down to C.O.P.S. and Spec Ops to check them out. My main concern is if I understand correctly the 6360 has one more movement required to draw. If that is correct is the level of retention gained with that extra mechanism worth it? Obviously the 6280 still sells because Safariland didn't drop that model.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the 6360, you have to push down and rotate the hood forward with the thumb. Then as you move the thumb back to get a proper firing grip on the gun, you have to use it to slide the ALS to the rear. It's a motion you already have to make to acquire a grip on the gun, so I don't necessarily callit an extra movement, but more of a begin movement, pause that movement in mid-stream with the thumb on the ALS, complete movement as the gun is lifted from the holster. I find the ALS to be most beneficial on the reholster. You drop it in and the 1st retention level is automatic. You can rotate the hood later if you're not in a high takeaway threat environment. As for the extra dexterity or manipulation required, you can drop the hood and still have a very fast draw if you're in a low takeaway threat environment, yet still have retention in effect.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the Safariland 6320. It's basically the 6360 without the rotating hood. Just the ALS.

I was visiting with a Trooper not too long ago and he told me about another Trooper getting into a scuffle with a guy and when they hit the ground, the Trooper's holster (a 6280) landed on a large rock and it sent the hood backwards. That kept him from rotating it forwards to draw his weapon.

Anyway...as usual, YMMV.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the Safariland 6320. It's basically the 6360 without the rotating hood. Just the ALS.

I was visiting with a Trooper not too long ago and he told me about another Trooper getting into a scuffle with a guy and when they hit the ground, the Trooper's holster (a 6280) landed on a large rock and it sent the hood backwards. That kept him from rotating it forwards to draw his weapon.

Anyway...as usual, YMMV.

The 6360 has a shield that should help prevent that, which the 6280 doesn't have. The shield is removeable for those that don't want it. The shield will make it very difficult to draw the gun with the off hand in the event the dominant hand is out of commission, but that's what the 2nd gun is for IMO. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom