Anyone priced the cost for an MRI in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might have to end up getting an MRI on my shoulder to figure out what's causing my pain. Having an HDHP insurance plan won't take much of the sting away.

I was wondering if anyone had called multiple facilities to see who was cheapest.

My last MRI on both knees cost me 1600+ on a decent insurance plan. I'm hoping to hedge the price a bit by shopping around

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My health insurance plan is setup so the insurer pays 100% of the first $2000, I pay 100% of the next $3000 and then it's 90/10 after that. If I don't use all their $2k, the balance rolls over to the following year. We typically don't use it all in our family so we've had it where they covered all the $5k before. Anyway, I broke my hand in spring 2014, broke my arm a few months later and then broke my leg and tore my knee up that fall. By that time, I was paying 100% of the bills.

I needed an MRI on my knee (which ended up needing surgery). I called around and asked what it cost if I just paid cash. They all wanted to know if I had insurance. It was complicated telling them I did, but I was going to have to pay for all of it so I didn't want to mess with it. They basically said if I had insurance the law required them to bill the insurance. The cost would be in that $1500-2000 range you are being quoted. I finally had Midwest Open MRI in Midwest City quote me as if I was uninsured. It was just over $500 if I was uninsured and paying cash. But I wasn't allowed to do it. They ended up billing my insurance, which paid nothing, and I paid the full $1800 or so. I guess it didn't matter though because I had surgery afterward and the MRI cost ate up most of my responsible portion that year.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember, they are just like buying a gun at a gun show. They WILL take less, most people don't know this but you can talk them down. BTW I have the number to about if not the best PT in Oklahoma if you need it, and he's a gun nut like us.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting Article Bigfug.

I work for a medical supply company that bills insurance. I'm well aware of the regulations put on companies. Its a real pisser when the patient knows their out of pocket will be less if we don't bill insurance than if we do. We have two companies setup to aid in getting better deals for direct sale customers. One houses the inventory and handles drop shipping. The other is the entity that bills insurance.

Unfortunately this isn't easily done when your in the imaging line of work.

Looks like I'll be placing some calls this morning to see what the cost is going to be. I really don't want to prolong this any longer than I have.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No Joke. We can get in trouble with Medicare if we are caught selling a product to patient A for $50 and billing Medicare $75. When someone at Medicare caught wind of how we have things setup. They sent an inspector down to check things out. After a full cavity search they agreed we were compliant and not doing anything under the table.

Yet we have situations where Medicare changed the reimbursement rate of one of our products from $75 down to $25. We can't even buy the product for $25. let alone cover the overhead to ship it and bill the appropriate payer. As a result we are pulling out of that line of business this year.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly... I've tried to explain this type of crap to countless people, I've pretty much given up. Let them ***** and be pissed, I don't have the time or energy to go through the discussion 15 times a day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom