Anyone remember Gibson's Discount Center

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I visited the one at 41st & MacArthur often. My church is across the street from it's former location which is also now a church.
Recall the Warr Acres Theater ? That's where I saw Easy Rider. To this day I never will figure out just why
my mom dropped us off there that day. Probably to get us out of the way for a bit.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked for a couple different drug wholesalers and some of the biggest accounts were Gibson stores that had started adding other franchises like True Value and such. We had one in Beaumont, TX that had about 6 pharmacists working and then the other part was a True Value/grocery mixed. That place was in an area that was red hot in 1950-1960's but by the 1990's was rough as a cobb, but they did the business. So much crap they had to have armed guards everywhere. Another one in Dodge City, KS was put out of business by Walmart but the pharmacy was still super busy- The guy who ran the pharmacy took over the building and made a super big drug store in the front part of the building. He did about 2000 RX a day out of that place. I remember going to them some, but we didn't have one in El Reno where I grew up. They did have everything though. Those folks- early Walmart- K-mart- TG&Y- Otasco all had the cool stuff back in the day. Now Walmart is just a fraction of the cool stuff. The good ole days are gone forever, and for some stuff that's a good thing, but I miss this stuff- what was the big department store on nw 10th and Penn- I bought a Colt 22 pistol there one time and a pair of S&W hand cuffs

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1276.jpeg

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't realize they had one in Weatherford. Is it still open? When I go through Weatherford all I'm worried about is getting through their stupid round-about and getting out of town!!!
It’s been a couple of years since I was down that way so I’m not sure if it’s still open.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gibsons, TG&Y and good ole Western Auto.
Western Auto sold shotgun shells and .22 LR (looked like it was made by Winchester I believe) under their brand name Revelation.
Like Archie and Edith Bunker sang "Those were the days!"

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gibsons, TG&Y and good ole Western Auto.
Western Auto sold shotgun shells and .22 LR (looked like it was made by Winchester I believe) under their brand name Revelation.
Like Archie and Edith Bunker sang "Those were the days!"

The Revelation Brand was made by Federal Cartridge . I still have boxes of 7x57 Revelation Brand ammo all headstamped with FC and same for the 22 LR F stamped .

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember walking into Otasco and the smell was well...Otasco. It smelled like new tires or something but it was pleasant. And they had those gun racks in the middle of the floor just sitting there to be looked over and darn good prices too! $29.00 for a mil surplus rifle isn't bad at all.
I bought a Savage Over and under 20 ga/.22 nice walnut stock for $65.00 and kept it for over twenty years until it sudenly walked off. The break was still stiff after twenty years.
Then there was ?GNC on Eastern Avenue in OKC and they required a membership I think to buy there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom