Anyone "rooted" a Samsung Galaxy S? (Fascinate, Epic 4, Captivate, Vibrant)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeff and BB, how do you delete the proprietary bloatware put on there by AT&T? Which app does this? Or how do you do it? I couldn't figure it out and (surprise) the AT&T store people didn't know how or wouldn't tell me how. They just said "You can't".

Specifically, "AT&T Navigator."?

I had the Task Killer app and it wouldn't delete the icon.

I won't "ignore it", for a couple of reasons, not the least of which my 8 year old nephew could hit "I agree" to the EULA when I let him play with it, and voila, I'm hit with a $2/month charge that I don't use and probably won't even discover for a few months, and they surely won't refund. But mainly, it's on principle.

I'm on T-Mobile. I believe you have to root to eliminate this problem. However my NAV is free.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The root was out for the captivate before it was even available for sale... bought mine the day it went on sale took it home rooted it, installed clockwork mod rom manager backed up my stock rotted rom image, installed titanium backup, backed up all my apps and settings then uninstalled all the AT&T bloatware useing Titanium backups uninstall utility.

The root is as simple as copying an update.zip package to the root of your internal SD card, reboot the phone while holding down both the volume keys then selecting reinstall packages.

XDA developers forum is the place to search for all things android.

I am awaiting cyanogenmods to come out with their 6.1 rom for samsungs so I can load a nice non branded FroYo for my phone now.

FYI you don't have to use AT&T's telenav pay app even if you don't remove it, google navigation is free and available as part of the google apps package available from the android market.

I have also changed my settings.db database to allow installation of non market apps.

Another one of my complaints was the touchwiz launcher does not allow the desktop or google search to rotate to landscape, I use ADW launcer as my desktop launcher now everything rotates like I want it too now.

Any of the other carrier branded phones will need the initial root, backup and uninstall of bloatware if you want to get rid of their carrier specific apps.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you help me do this next steel challenge?
The root was out for the captivate before it was even available for sale... bought mine the day it went on sale took it home rooted it, installed clockwork mod rom manager backed up my stock rotted rom image, installed titanium backup, backed up all my apps and settings then uninstalled all the AT&T bloatware useing Titanium backups uninstall utility.

The root is as simple as copying an update.zip package to the root of your internal SD card, reboot the phone while holding down both the volume keys then selecting reinstall packages.

XDA developers forum is the place to search for all things android.

I am awaiting cyanogenmods to come out with their 6.1 rom for samsungs so I can load a nice non branded FroYo for my phone now.

FYI you don't have to use AT&T's telenav pay app even if you don't remove it, google navigation is free and available as part of the google apps package available from the android market.

I have also changed my settings.db database to allow installation of non market apps.

Another one of my complaints was the touchwiz launcher does not allow the desktop or google search to rotate to landscape, I use ADW launcer as my desktop launcher now everything rotates like I want it too now.

Any of the other carrier branded phones will need the initial root, backup and uninstall of bloatware if you want to get rid of their carrier specific apps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom