Anyone run afoul of 4" handgun min bbl limit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone ever had issues with any game warden on the big game 4" minimum for handguns?
IMHO the 4" min is outdated due to several advancements. Ammunition ie primer, powder, projectile barrel specs, advances should easily make a sound case to relax this to about 3.4" for modern weapons but even older short bbl stuff reloaded just right can carry plenty of long range punch, speed & accuracy.

However the only issue is that concerns me with this is even with current 4" minimum the law makers should not be letting (by default of failure to specify) someone use some handgun not range proven with just any factory ammo that would endanger the rest of us as accuracy variances in handgun ammo is far more extreme in our experiences.
They should at least have a reasonable requirement at a reasonable distance grouping ie 2moa @ 50 yds. I am sure opinions vary a great deal on this but its worth bringing up with those who care.
Seems so few comparitively use handguns to rifles that they did not want to over regulate it which I am all for.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like an awfully lot of proving needed if you were to be checked. Lotta BS in my opinion. Regulations need to be easy to understand, and as evidenced in this very forum, are already confusing enough for some.

Compliance checks in the field should quick and easy, not require a chronograph to measure velocity of the specific ammo being used out of the specific firearm being used, a bullet puller to verify the weight of projectile to calculate the energy of said load. Oh and we can't forget, must have verified range markers, or range finder because any ammunition will drop below lethal energy at some point. You bring up an accuracy requirement, targets must be carried into field so accuracy can be proven to game warden? Naw, I would probably quit hunting if it came to all that BS.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like an awfully lot of proving needed if you were to be checked. Lotta BS in my opinion. Regulations need to be easy to understand, and as evidenced in this very forum, are already confusing enough for some.

Compliance checks in the field should quick and easy, not require a chronograph to measure velocity of the specific ammo being used out of the specific firearm being used, a bullet puller to verify the weight of projectile to calculate the energy of said load. Oh and we can't forget, must have verified range markers, or range finder because any ammunition will drop below lethal energy at some point. You bring up an accuracy requirement, targets must be carried into field so accuracy can be proven to game warden? Naw, I would probably quit hunting if it came to all that BS.

I would have to agree. It is simple, in the respect in the length measurement! To the OP, your going to have to buy a longer pistol!!!!

If your married or ?, just show her the rules and tell your hands are tied! LOL!

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Knew that would get carried to far....

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay now your on to me. Humm, someone with a 10mm in "4 bbl compact poly willing to sell? Was thinking about that $ 269.xx Walther PPX M1 with that nice trigger & converting to 10mm with or without threaded bbl $ 25 upgrade. http://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials/walther-ppx-m1-40s-w.html#.VEWWfsko7qD
22 ish lb spring(s), a $ 69 Brownells reamer, only thing lacking is clip conversion info and someone who pulled it off sucessfully.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are easing up on a few rules slowly.
Look at the bows we can use now..
Bow hunting I see most shots under 18 yards.. if you can HUNT then 50 yard range is more than 2X the distance needed.

It is what it is..personally I think pistols with under 4" barrels look funny.

First time city hunter looks funny also.. all camoed out has his back pack all full of stuff and a deer blind under his arm and an ar rifle that was sighted in at 35 yards.. with different ammo that what he took into the field.
Toss in the fact that he is hunting less than 200 yards from where he parked.

Sorry what were we talking about?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even just having a minimum barrel length is inconsistent. Your 4" revolver is measured from the forcing cone; my 4" autoloader is measured from the (closed) breechface. I get to count the entire length of the round toward the minimum.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They are easing up on a few rules slowly.
Look at the bows we can use now..
Bow hunting I see most shots under 18 yards.. if you can HUNT then 50 yard range is more than 2X the distance needed.

It is what it is..personally I think pistols with under 4" barrels look funny.

First time city hunter looks funny also.. all camoed out has his back pack all full of stuff and a deer blind under his arm and an ar rifle that was sighted in at 35 yards.. with different ammo that what he took into the field.
Toss in the fact that he is hunting less than 200 yards from where he parked.

Sorry what were we talking about?

ha ha ha right or get all camo out black face paint and all. then put orange on and set in a elevated heated box blind ???

Latest posts

Top Bottom