Anyone tried these phone chargers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We've started using these magnetic charging cables on all of our devices after having to replace my iPhone with a new $800 model.
The continuing insertion and removal of the charging cable puts wear and tear on the contacts inside the phone to the point that they will no longer charge reliably without having to wiggle the cable and set it just right on the table.
With these, you put an insert into the phone that stays there, and the cable just snaps to the insert. Both are magnets so you get a pretty good connection. Hi amperage up to 3.2 amps for fast charges. The cables come with inserts for iPhone or micro usp devices.

61aUW3fbQzL._SL1000_.jpg

81S2PZeeXvL._SL1500_.jpg

Available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D26SHZB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I didn’t read through all of the posts but if it’s an iPhone8 or later they accept a wireless charge. I got a 15w one and it does great.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I realize that. So the old Nokia I had back in the late 90s was which OS? I was on Voicestream network.

MS-DOS?

But really, if we're comparing phones in the modern sense, with touchscreen 'smart' abilities then we can't really go too far back.

Wasn't it palm that had one of the early ones? But IIRC, nothing really took off in a broad sense until the iphone came along. Then android followed after that and it's been an Iphone vs android (i.e. the rest) since then.

Last edited:

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I realize that. So the old Nokia I had back in the late 90s was which OS? I was on Voicestream network.

The actual answer is whatever proprietary firmware Nokia (or whomever) wrote for their phones. Open-source or for-sale adaptable software didn't really come out at all until smartphones with Palm OS, Blackberry, Android, Windows Phone/Mobile/Pocket, and Apple's iOs.

That's because they needed to support third party apps made my developers, at least the simplistic ones like web browsers (chrome/opera/firefox), email clients, chat clients (back before iMessenger and WhatsApp people used AIM - or AOL online messenger - on their phones), camera apps, WordsWithFriends, Twitter/Facebook (this was before Instagram and SnapChat), etc...

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with the wireless deal. They make cases that literally plug in to the charge port on the phone and give it wireless charging capability and some have it already built in and only need the back of the phone changed. I nearly bought the QI back and charger for my phone before it died and I ended up with a newer refurb on insurance.

I will say this though. If you are thinking about upgrading phones right now don't. The last couple years have brought little to the ecosystem and if the Sprint T-mobile merger does happen and you are on either network the day of the merger means all sprint phones are obsolete and T-mobile phones will be lacking a large chunk of spectrum. Plus waiting till the REAL 5G service starts happening and millimeter frequency phones are out is a better bet as well. That should happen around the end of 2020 into 2021 so unless your phone dies until then hold what you got. If your phone does die buy a cheap refurb instead.

And if you are on ATT and see a 5G logo popping up on your phone don't fall for it. https://www.droid-life.com/2019/01/07/your-att-phone-does-not-have-5g-now/ https://gizmodo.com/at-t-is-cooking-up-some-5g-********-1831265660 https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/7/18173215/tmobile-att-fake-5g-network-troll-9g-iphone Verizon and T-Mobile are using the same tech ATT is claiming as 5G it's really more like 4.25G

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t read through all of the posts but if it’s an iPhone8 or later they accept a wireless charge. I got a 15w one and it does great.
I can't use those in the boat, the truck, via the accessory battery in my backpack, or if I'm stuck or lost in the woods.
I'm rarely in the house where something like that is a great deal, and we typically keep our devices on a charging cable while using them in the home. The wireless chargers don't allow that.
I've never experienced any heat issues around the charger magnetic connection even after being connected for hours.
We just bought some of the 90 degree cables that are really nice when using the device while being plugged in.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good point, but I did turn the phone off before I cleaned out its belly button. And the lint therein makes a really good insulator material.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have some 15’ standard style charging cables we use in our RV as the built in ports are a little ways off.
After this conversion to the magnetic, 5’ is the longest cable available, so we’ll get a couple of 10’ USB extension cords.
Excuse my ignorance Dennis but why do you need such a long charging cable?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have some 15’ standard style charging cables we use in our RV as the built in ports are a little ways off.
After this conversion to the magnetic, 5’ is the longest cable available, so we’ll get a couple of 10’ USB extension cords.

You may want to take a look at your built in ports. Unit in the last few years have built in ports (assuming built into an electric outlet) been widely available that supported Apple’s fast charging.
Most common ports are only capable of 1.2a 5 watt charging. 12v powered USB ports have been available a bit longer but still 5 Watt are the most common. Even Apple only includes a 5 watt charger even with the newest XS iPhones.

However the iPhone starting with the 6 or 6s introduced 12w charging. Devices that support it are is usually marked 2.1a or 12 watt. (Be careful as some multi port chargers are marked for total wattage, not per port) The iPads include a 12 watt charger.

Using a 12W charger will charge the iPhone almost twice as fast as the 5 watt. I think the true number is 85-90%. It is substantial.

Wireless charging depends on the charger. There are 5 watt and 7.5 watt chargers supported by Apple. 7.5 Watt is only supported by Apply with certain vendors and the 7.5 only adds about 20% speed. I’ve personally only used 5 Watt wireless and prefer 12 Watt wired. I might consider wireless on my night stand one day.

The other charging supported by the iPhone, starting with the iPhone 8, is the USB-C port which is 18 Watt. I have tested my iPhone X with USB-C (Using my Surface Book 2) and it is only slightly faster than my 12 Watt chargers. Around 10-15%. Articles I read at the time confirmed my speed tests results. A special USB-C to lightning cable is required. I’ve only seen Apple branded ones but haven’t looked recently. I think they are still about $20.

You also mention a battery pack.
12 Watt is available in some of the better qualities usb battery packs. I still use a Mophie juice pack powerstation Duo I bought about 5 years ago. It is incredible and supports simultaneous 12 watt charging of both ports. It is 6000 mAh and about the size of a pack of cards. It was expensive and the top of the line when I bought it during an ice storm, but it has been bulletproof. It has literally traveled to all 8 continents. (yes, all 8 and in 8 days, loaned to the ex-wife but that is another long story). It gets quite a bit of use when I travel and even on an end table where I watch tv from. You might take a look at the specs of yours.

I strongly suggest testing 12 Watt charging from confirmed equipment. The difference is amazing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom