Any audio/low voltage guys in here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lookin at making a small speaker set up for the garage/yard/job site with stuff laying around but I have hit a snag. I want to have it be powered by battery or plug into the wall, my best guess would be use something like an altronix 624 and a sealed lead acid battery for the power. The 624 has 12vdc @ 1.2a and I found a different model with 12vdc @ 2.5a, the amp looks like in needs 12vdc@ 2a.
Does any one else have any suggestions?

I was planning on using a small 12v amp that has a 3.5mm input but I think a Bluetooth module might be neat to add to this so I can keep my phone in my pocket, so far I have found one module on Amazon but it looks junky.

Here's the power supply's I was looking at.
https://www.amazon.com/Altronix-Sel...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S55KS66AV467K68QPCTQ

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made a boom box from an old plastic tool box..about the size of a tackle box that has the 3 shelfs in it you know.

I used a 12V battery from a cash register and an old car stereo AM-FM casette from steve's wholesale it was a pyramid I think.
Then a couple dual cone 5.25" speakers facing the front of the box.. the radio faced up behind the handle.. battery fit snugly between speakers and radie inside the box.

Power wheel batteries or other small batteries will work well I have a few small 12v batteries but they do not take a charge..I will spark them with 36V in a couple days and see if I can knock the saturation off of them.
Sealed batteries from security systems.
I do not know if that helps.. but that homemade boom box rocked.

pioneer 30 watts RMS dual cones were used.. this was back in the late 80's.
I used it when we went to Tenkiller to dive off the cliff's..It would last all day long Talking sun up to sun down.
I had a cigarette lighter plug in to charge it.. just leave it hooked up all night and ready the next day

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boom box is what I'm after... I'm in the security field so I was planning on using a sealed lead acid battery from an alarm system because I know they can take a charge and will last a while.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you're planning on using the power supply to keep the battery charged, and the battery as the main power source for the amp?

Why not just get a 12V power supply you can plug in to the wall and use to power the amp? Unless you're planning on hauling it around where there isn't wall power.

Do you already have the amp? If not, Zapco has a neat line of new amps that are Bluetooth enabled.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you're planning on using the power supply to keep the battery charged, and the battery as the main power source for the amp?

Why not just get a 12V power supply you can plug in to the wall and use to power the amp? Unless you're planning on hauling it around where there isn't wall power.

Do you already have the amp? If not, Zapco has a neat line of new amps that are Bluetooth enabled.

The power supply I mentioned is what we use at work, it takes ac in and puts dc out, when it loses ac it reverts to battery and it charges. I haven't bought the amp yet I'll look into the zapco.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhh ok I gotcha. I didn't look up that PSU. You said 1.2A, which doesn't seem to me like enough to power much of an amp. I know you said 2A for the amp... but then, I don't know how much power you're wanting to run, really.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The amp draws 12v @ 2a

Here are the specs
  • MAX Power: 90 Watt Output (RMS: 45 x 2 @ 4Ohm) - Impedance: 4-8Ω - Size: 6.0'' x 4.6'' x 1.6''
I think the 2.5a power supply would be the better option and if I'm too worried I should be able to put a resistor in line to drop the amperage down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom