Anyone tried these phone chargers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if they have adapters for existing cables. I have plenty of really good cables (10 ft long), I just need to convert the connection end to magnetic.

We have some 15’ standard style charging cables we use in our RV as the built in ports are a little ways off.
After this conversion to the magnetic, 5’ is the longest cable available, so we’ll get a couple of 10’ USB extension cords.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm...I don't seem to have any problems with the charging port on my $5 LG.

I guess I'm just too frugal. I will never understand spending more than a couple of hundred bucks on any phone.

I know of someone that always complains about being broke but they have over $10K wrapped up in Apple products.

I could see using a magnetic cable for convenience though as long as they are not too expensive.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I was having a problem with my last iPhone’s charging port when no charging cable would stay seated in the port. After checking the port with a lighted magnifying glass, however, I discovered it was clogged with lint which was preventing the cables from seating properly in the port. Cleaned it out with the end of a straightened paper clip and it was good to go; never had another problem with it. If I had, I would have just turned it over to AT&T for replacement under their insurance which I carry.
I too carry insurance an my phones. However, unless AT&T is different from UScellular, the deductible on these modern phones is still awfully daggum high. I think a buddy of mine said he was going to have to pay a $275 deductible the other day so he ended up taking his phone to a repair shop and got a new screen and speaker cleaned for $75 and a 30min wait.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
haven't tried it for my phone, but it's a similar concept to apple's 'magsafe' connector for many laptops. In fact, it's one reason i'm slow to upgrade to a new macbook pros since the new ones are all USB C and aren't magsafe.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm...I don't seem to have any problems with the charging port on my $5 LG.

I guess I'm just too frugal. I will never understand spending more than a couple of hundred bucks on any phone.

I know of someone that always complains about being broke but they have over $10K wrapped up in Apple products.

might depend on when and where you got your phone. Newer phones aren't subsidized like older models (i.e. no contracts but you pay full price for the phone). Buying used or refurbished might change it for some, but the phone-buying model has changed in the past few years for some.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
might depend on when and where you got your phone. Newer phones aren't subsidized like older models (i.e. no contracts but you pay full price for the phone). Buying used or refurbished might change it for some, but the phone-buying model has changed in the past few years for some.
I have no contract and my phone is about two years old. I just waited until I found a good sale before I upgraded and I don't want or need the latest and greatest phone.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Droids are literally the best phones to buy if you want to get hacked.

Never had an issue with several iPhones...iPads and now a couple of MacBook Pros.... cables and such have been fine.... but we now use the magnetic docks.

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't ever owned an Apple phone, so can't comment on them but can say that over the many years (and iterations) of having Android powered phones (and usually paying less than $150 for them, not subsidized) I have never had a charging issue due to "wear of the connection point". I will give Apple some credit, they have perfected planned obsolescence.

Latest posts

Top Bottom