Anyone using a Google Pixel 3? Interested in opinions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my S7 Edge is on the way out, I think. Screen is all screwed up, already changed out the battery once, now it doesn't want to fast charge or wireless charge... I'm looking around.

I got my wife the Pixel 2 for Christmas of 2017, but I need wireless inductive charging, for various reasons. She loves hers, and the camera is fabulous. But the Pixel 3 added wireless charging, so I am thinking of this, although it is expensive as hail... the 3a version doesn't have wireless and is lacking some other features to allow it to be much cheaper.

So, any of you guys using it, what do you think? I've been on Samsung phones for years, but I may be ready to jump ship.

And no... Apple isn't an option, so please don't throw that out there.

<edit> Additionally, I'm only going to be buying outright to use on prepaid service (StraightTalk currently) OR on Google Fi, possibly. I won't be buying from a service provider and won't be signing any contracts.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife has a Pixel 2 . Bought daughter a Pixel 3a earlier this year. Both have been problem free and call screening is awesome. Work provides my phone I use LGs left Samsungs at s2. If I had to buy one it would be a 3. I got an email the other day from Google 3 is $500 now I thought. Pixel 4 will hit in October more than likely. I have never owned a bad google device.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a Pixel 3A XL right now. Using it with Google fi and so far it has been good. One thing I don't like is the power button on the side instead of under the fingerprint reader but otherwise I have few complaints. It lasts all day where my previous phone just barely did so I don't know that you will need wireless charging to be honest. But it's very likely that someone will make a case that will add it so there is that to think about. But if you get a quick charge 3 charger it will charge up pretty fast too. Right now I have about 88% left and it shows that I should be able to use it 2 days and 15 hours total time. That's about 40 minutes of screen on time.

I have this charger for my stuff and it has two quick charge ports for my phone and tablet. I was tired of multiple chargers and figured this one would work better on trips. https://amzn.to/2yPdvdK

This case for the phone, fairly plain but I have used the brand before and they were pretty good. https://amzn.to/2H01DKu

These screen protectors 3 pack of glass and they go on EASY as it has a little alignment tool. If you don't want to fiddle with the thing and get it just right this is the way to go. https://amzn.to/2GZOdOp

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
upload_2019-8-11_6-28-32.gif

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the same boat on prepaid and have a samsung galaxy s4. I want a new one but have to buy it outright so guess will keep my s4. It still works good no issues other than the operating system is old and outdated and won't update so some apps I can't use but the phone part for me is fine as long I can call text and look up websites or google maps for directions I am happy.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah my old tablet will no longer update. Takes a special cable, too, and my last one broke, so the tablet is toast unless I get another cable. My son's S5 won't either. I guess I'll stick with my S7 a while longer, I don't want to pay $500+ for a new phone. Not right now, anyways. If it'll get texts and accept calls, that's all I really need from it for now. I have enough other things I need to pay off.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah my old tablet will no longer update. Takes a special cable, too, and my last one broke, so the tablet is toast unless I get another cable. My son's S5 won't either. I guess I'll stick with my S7 a while longer, I don't want to pay $500+ for a new phone. Not right now, anyways. If it'll get texts and accept calls, that's all I really need from it for now. I have enough other things I need to pay off.

I agree and am right there with you, I can't 500 plus for a phone let alone 800 its a dang phone. Plus I have too much going on to play around with apps on my phone other than useful ones that help with what I am doing. I am not good with math or numbers an app I have is priceless its a fractions calculator and has helped me alot, have one thats a flashlight, weather app, couple radio apps and that's it.

Even used phones cost too much anymore, for me once its been opened it used and the value to me goes way down, no matter what model or brand it is.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's crazy how ridiculous we have allowed cell phones to get. It's out of hand - 2 and 3 year contracts, $1100-1200 for a phone is insane. And that's considered the "norm" now for a flagship phone. I build really nice home computers for lots less than that.

It's just crazy.

Of course... I shouldn't talk, I've spent ridiculous amounts of money on some stupid sheisse.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The devices only being supported for a year or two is a good reason to look at a phone that can be bootloader unlocked. Flash TWRP or something similar and then take your pick of what ROM you want to run. The only major loss is generally being able to use the phone as a payment device and sometimes certain other features may not work, for instance an old tablet I have the camera just does not function but since I never use it to take pictures anyway it was not a big deal. Often times what you gain is the latest OS versions and the ability to block advertisements system wide not to mention complete removal of bloatware and custom UI's. To be honest my tablet very nearly went back as it had some sort of app that was forcing the navigation bar on the bottom with a few apps where it was not needed and on top of that it was a bright white when I am using an app that was almost all black at night. I was eventually able to manually remove the offending piece of software but eventually I will be switching the OS to lineage or something of that nature.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-3a-xl/development is a good place to look at the pixel 3a XL stuff which will have a ton of development. Once someone releases a bootloader ROM's will be available soon after. The Pixel phones for now are one of the ones developed for most often followed by the other major manufacturer's as they are often more difficult to work with. If you want to see if this is something you can do with your old phone go to https://twrp.me/Devices/ and take a look.

Latest posts

Top Bottom