Anyone want my Pronghorn Doe Tag letter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
from the Wildlife Department. I'm not claiming that it's transferable - it's not. I'm just telling you that I'll give you my letter for my Texas County October pronghorn hunt "tag" to do with as you please, if you want it. I drew it under the controlled hunts program but it's clearly not a controlled hunt, because you have to find a landowner on your own, so it's really a "tag". I won't be going on the hunt -- can't get away from work then in October.

Dates on it are Oct 2nd - 10th.

Reaction score
I don't know - I doubt it. I'm not making any representations other than "you can have this letter which is of no use to me, if you like, and as far as I care, hunt in my place" Maybe you could call the department / game warden up there, and see if they'd make an exception for someone, perhaps, on the transferability rule?

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure it is non-transferrable. You should go, Doc. I drew on that hunt several years ago and hunted the first day on the Rita Blanca Grasslends - Federal Public Land. I saw lots of antelope but couldn't get close enoguh, kept pushing them to either private land or across the line into Texas. That evening I was eating supper at the local cafe' in Boise City and the Ranger came in and asked if I was hunting antelope. I said yes and told him my story. He drew me a little map and told me he had landowner permission to send a hunter in there. I followed his directions and filled the tag the next morning before 8:30 AM.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure it is non-transferrable. You should go, Doc. I drew on that hunt several years ago and hunted the first day on the Rita Blanca Grasslends - Federal Public Land. I saw lots of antelope but couldn't get close enoguh, kept pushing them to either private land or across the line into Texas. That evening I was eating supper at the local cafe' in Boise City and the Ranger came in and asked if I was hunting antelope. I said yes and told him my story. He drew me a little map and told me he had landowner permission to send a hunter in there. I followed his directions and filled the tag the next morning before 8:30 AM.

+1. That's God's country out there. I'd go in a heartbeat just for the sunrises ans sunsets. And there are tons of speedgoats to boot.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
from the Wildlife Department. I'm not claiming that it's transferable - it's not. I'm just telling you that I'll give you my letter for my Texas County October pronghorn hunt "tag" to do with as you please, if you want it. I drew it under the controlled hunts program but it's clearly not a controlled hunt, because you have to find a landowner on your own, so it's really a "tag". I won't be going on the hunt -- can't get away from work then in October.

Dates on it are Oct 2nd - 10th.

Here we go again! This IS a controlled hunt, controlled because a limited number of tags are issued and you must draw a tag to participate.

All the info about this hunt was available to you BEFORE you applied for it and YOU FAILED to READ it! Now, you want to badmouth the Wildlife Dept and ***** and moan because they aren't going to take you out, sit you down, hold your hand and show you which antelope to shoot.

This is straight from the ODWC website, this is the hunt description posted just above the list of Antelope hunt choices!

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/huntselant.htm

Can only be drawn once in a lifetime if drawn in 2002 or later. Minimum age requirements for Controlled Hunts is 14. One applicant only; No group applications. Up to three (3) hunt choices may be selected. hunts occur on private property. Dept. does not maintain a record of available private lands. It is the responsibility of all successful applicants to contact landowners and obtain written permission prior to hunting on private lands and the hunter must have this written permission in possession while hunting.Private land access fees may be charged by the landowner.

Sounds like you need to stick to "hunting" in one of those small, high fenced "hunting preserves" where a "guide" takes you out to a blind, sits with you and points out which animal to shoot!! Maybe you can even find one that will let you pick out your "trophy" from their website before you go!

BY the way, the antelope hunt is NOT transferrable, the letter is worthless to anyone but the person that drew the tag. Your identification, hunting license and selection letter will all be checked before the hunt. There is no "transferability rule", except that tags are not transferrable, and they aren't going to make an exception.

By not going on the hunt, not only have you lost your once in a lifetime opportunity to participate in the controlled antelope hunt in Oklahoma, you have taken the opportunity from someone else by wasting the tag.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WOW! Emotions are flowing through this thread...When I read the part about not being able to take off work, I figured thats why hes not going. I wouldn't worry about someone wasting a doe tag. They can be purchased from landowners, its the Buck tags that are pricey to buy and hard to draw.

Reaction score
Dude, buzzgun, you're way off base. Way, way off. I'm not bitching about it. I'm explaining FACTS. That other thread is over.

This IS a controlled hunt,

No, wrong. It absolutely, 1000% is NOT a controlled hunt. It's no different than a TAG, as issued by Colo, NM, and any number of other states - it ALLOWS you to hunt. If this is a 'controlled hunt', then every tag issued by every state for every species is also a controlled hunt. If that's the way you want to define 'controlled hunt', then fine. But it's not how 99% of the population defines controlled hunt (as one and the same as "tag").

controlled because a limited number of tags are issued and you must draw a tag to participate.

Exactly, it's a tag, as you point out - thank you. It's a tag, not a controlled hunt. You make my point. Sure, it's organized under the auspices of the "controlled hunt" program, but it's not a controlled hunt. By definition, a controlled hunt gives you a place to hunt at a specific time and specific location. As far as the way I define it, and 99% of the population. Otherwise, why do we have the word "tag" used in many many states where you always have to draw to hunt, yet no specific place is offered?

All the info about this hunt was available to you BEFORE you applied for it and YOU FAILED to READ it!

Yes, you're right. I agree with that, as I did in the other thred. Mea culpa.

Now, you want to badmouth the Wildlife Dept and ***** and moan

I do? Really? Show me where I did that? All I want to do is (hopefully) give another hunter an opportunity to hunt, if the W.D. can make an exception to the non-transferability rule.

This is straight from the ODWC website, this is the hunt description posted just above the list of Antelope hunt choices!

Yeah, I know - as I said the other thread (and above) - my fault.

Sounds like you need to stick to "hunting" in one of those small, high fenced "hunting preserves" where a "guide" takes you out to a blind, sits with you and points out which animal to shoot!!

What's that got to do with the price of rice in China? That's extremely weak. You might like those canned hunts, but I'd never do one.

BY the way, the antelope hunt is NOT transferrable,.

That's what I said above twice. Maybe you should read the thread before posting.

Your identification, hunting license and selection letter will all be checked before the hunt.

No it won't. It's not a hunt, remember. As you posted above, it's YOUR responsibility to find the landowner and do everything yourself. They're not gonna check anything until the check station.

the letter is worthless to anyone but the person that drew the tag...There is no "transferability rule", except that tags are not transferrable, and they aren't going to make an exception.

How do you know they won't make an exception? Rules change sometimes for reasons, and if they're overrun with them, that just might be the reason. That's why the rules have been evolving on lands with pigs, because they want to get rid of them. Perhaps the rules are evolving here too, on transferability, if they're overrun with the darned speed goats, as I've been hearing.

By not going on the hunt, not only have you lost your once in a lifetime opportunity to participate in the controlled antelope hunt in Oklahoma,

Yes, I lost my one in a lifetime opportunity for a tag in OK. I can go to NM, on a friend's land, and hunt them any year I want (albeit for a $300 tag and during very limited days).

you have taken the opportunity from someone else by wasting the tag.

Yes, and for that I'm sorry - I didn't forsee the fact that I wouldn't be able to go in October. But it's a doe, not a buck, so I feel better knowing I didn't take away someone's chance to shoot a buck. However, I may try hard to change my schedule around so that I can do it if possible....

Any other questions or concerns that you have?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jared

He has been complaining about this not being a "controlled hunt" since he found out he would have to find a place to hunt. He is blaming the Wildlife Dept for his own stupidity and I suspect the "can't get off work" thing is just an excuse. It really pisses me off when someone draws a hunt and then doesn't go! They are taking away the opportunity from someone who really wants to hunt!

Latest posts

Top Bottom