Anyone want my Pronghorn Doe Tag letter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell us how you really feel Buzzgun. To go or not go is his own choice. I'm sure we don't all agree with the choices you make in life.

Doc I would love to have your letter, I may even frame it and send it to Buzzgun so he can wake up in this good of a mood every day.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you applied online for an antelope tag, its a controlled hunt.. I agree buzz.. That could have been someone that wants to go and kill one.. I didn't apply for a doe tag because I'd rather have a buck..

But if I drew it I'd damn sure go..

Dr. Tad.. He's right.. If I remember right I read a thread you posted back in the end of turkey season saying you would "pay" someone to put you on birds on their place.. That kinda rubbed me the wrong way.. JMO

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I remember right I read a thread you posted back in the end of turkey season saying you would "pay" someone to put you on birds on their place.. That kinda rubbed me the wrong way.. JMO

I'm not speaking for Dr Tad, but the way I read that statment, he was willing to pay a trespass fee to hunt on somebodies land. If he was sucessful or not.
No different than somebody paying for an annual lease. Just my opinion on this one statment.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, buzzgun, you're way off base. Way, way off. I'm not bitching about it. I'm explaining FACTS. That other thread is over.
No, you aren't just "explaining the facts" that is BS! What makes the other thread "over"?? You are saying the same "it's not a controlled hunt" thing here as you did there!

No, wrong. It absolutely, 1000% is NOT a controlled hunt. It's no different than a TAG, as issued by Colo, NM, and any number of other states - it ALLOWS you to hunt. If this is a 'controlled hunt', then every tag issued by every state for every species is also a controlled hunt. If that's the way you want to define 'controlled hunt', then fine. But it's not how 99% of the population defines controlled hunt (as one and the same as "tag").

It IS a controlled hunt, the state limits the number of tags available and you must draw a tag to participate, sorry that you can't comprehend that idea.

Exactly, it's a tag, as you point out - thank you. It's a tag, not a controlled hunt. You make my point. Sure, it's organized under the auspices of the "controlled hunt" program, but it's not a controlled hunt. By definition, a controlled hunt gives you a place to hunt at a specific time and specific location. As far as the way I define it, and 99% of the population. Otherwise, why do we have the word "tag" used in many many states where you always have to draw to hunt, yet no specific place is offered?

How you want to spin it doesn't really matter.

By your definition: "a controlled hunt gives you a place to hunt at a specific time and specific location."

Your tag is issued for either Cimarron Co. or Texas Co. Your tag is good for a specific location, that location just happens to be an entire county, where you hunt within that county is your problem and was explained in the hunt description. As to a specific time, well, you said earlier that the tag is for "Oct 2nd - 10th", there's your specific time.

I do? Really? Show me where I did that? All I want to do is (hopefully) give another hunter an opportunity to hunt, if the W.D. can make an exception to the non-transferability rule.

By claiming this is not a controlled hunt, you are, in effect, accusing the Wildlife Dept of misrepresenting the hunt.

What's that got to do with the price of rice in China? That's extremely weak. You might like those canned hunts, but I'd never do one.

I suggested the "canned hunt" because you seem to be so irritated that the Wildlife Dept isn't showing you exactly where to hunt. A canned hunt would solve that problem for you!

That's what I said above twice. Maybe you should read the thread before posting.

Did you forget where you wrote: "Maybe you could call the department / game warden up there, and see if they'd make an exception for someone, perhaps, on the transferability rule?" So, you say it's not transferable then you say maybe it is?? What is this "transferability rule" you mention??

No it won't. It's not a hunt, remember. As you posted above, it's YOUR responsibility to find the landowner and do everything yourself. They're not gonna check anything until the check station.

Well, I've been on this hunt twice, first as a hunter and second as a "helper" for my father because he was disabled and couldn't get the antelope out once he shot it. And, I also know several others who have been on this hunt. In all instances, we were required to check in with Dept officials at the motel before the hunt and they checked ID, hunting license, selection letter and landowner permission slip before the hunt All this was explained in the letters we received. Maybe it's different for the doe hunts, but I doubt it.

How do you know they won't make an exception? Rules change sometimes for reasons, and if they're overrun with them, that just might be the reason. That's why the rules have been evolving on lands with pigs, because they want to get rid of them. Perhaps the rules are evolving here too, on transferability.

How do I know they won't make an exception?? Well, if you READ the info at "step 4" of the controlled hunt application process (http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/whatelse.htm) you will find

"6. Permits are not transferable to anyone, including family members. Identification will be required to enter the hunt area."

Is that clear enough for you??

Yes, and for that I'm sorry - I didn't forsee the fact that I wouldn't be able to go in October. But it's a doe, not a buck, so I feel better knowing I didn't take away someone's chance to shoot a buck. However, I may try hard to change my schedule around so that I can do it if possible....

I'd find that much more believable if you hadn't complained so much about this not being a controlled hunt since you have to secure permission to hunt on private land. You applied for the hunt, you drew it, I believe it is your responsibility to go. I don't believe it is fair, to all the other people who applied for this hunt and didn't get drawn, for you to waste this tag.

By the way, if your tag is for Cimarron Co, there is some public land out there that you can hunt (Rita Blanca WMA) http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/ritablanca.htm

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow....why the venom? Dude....sometimes life happens and you are not able to participate in something you thought you would be able to do. I'm a small business owner. I drew for a Lexington archery spot a few years ago. I had every intention on going and thought I had everything covered. However, life happens and something changed forcing me to work during the hunt. Was I disappointed? Yes...but my business was and will always be more important than a hunt will ever be.

I didn't take the OP as griping about this, he was simply making an offer.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those who don't understand this situation, maybe this will help:

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1201955#post1201955
Yup - definitely get in on this deal - it's only $5/year to apply for all categories of hunts. You have to apply online, and it's a bit of a CF of a procedure the first time you do it. Definitely worth a shot. You have to have an active hunting license to apply, I believe.

I lucked out this year with this draw-in:

Antelope - 204 - Texas County - Gun Doe - 10/2/10 - 10/10/10 - No fees.

Oh yeah! :)
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93452&highlight=antelope

Going on a lope hunt in October. ( :) )

Got two pretty good suitable rigs for the job - which would you use, if you were me, assuming equal accuracy levels:

1. T/C Icon "Original Medium Action", .243 win, 24", 1 in 12, with 85 gr Speer spitzer soft point boattails - handloaded, and Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm, or

2. T/C Encore Prohunter, .280 Rem, 28", 1 in ?, with 139 Hornady SST ballistic tip boattails - handloaded, and Nikon Monarch 4-16x42mm SF.

??

Also, if you have any tips on how to hunt them in October in the Oklahoma panhandle, and wish to share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Permission? It's a controlled hunt - by definition that means they put me on specific land and say "go hunt here", correct? Am I misunderstanding here? Thanks.

Well that sucks balls, royally. How in the holy @#%@#% is that a controlled hunt? That's anything but controlled: "Sure you can hunt - maybe; just go get permission to hunt somewhere; good luck"; whiskey tango foxtrot!!!??!!!! :mad: :mad:

How is that any different than buying a tag? So all this is, is just drawing a "tag", not drawing a "controlled hunt" at all?

ok, thanks OB - major ripoff but still better than nothing. It is clearly a "tag draw", not a "controlled hunt draw". But if I was on constructive notice and didn't read it close enough, then my fault.

I'll do my research and start trying to find landowners, I guess. Thanks again.

Why doesn't the wildlife department help coordinate for you, by keeping lists and contact info of landowners, etc., and helping to match up and broker or facilitate deals, or at least communication? Then, that would make it at least sort of approach being what they bill it to be - a 'controlled hunt'.

On the lifetime thing, I don't care on pronghorn, because I just don't care about a trophy buck pronghorn - didn't expect to be drawn anyway, so it's just a bonus meat hunt - doe is fine. But you make a good point, because I do care on elk - I do bull only on elk.

OK, I'm fortunate. I am, actually - I was just disappointed *relative to my expectations* - I didn't read the fine print because I'm just not all that interested in antelope, and none of my friends know much about it either.

So I will reserve that issue for another time; back to the topic at hand of which gun, please. :)

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not speaking for Dr Tad, but the way I read that statment, he was willing to pay a trespass fee to hunt on somebodies land. If he was sucessful or not.
No different than somebody paying for an annual lease. Just my opinion on this one statment.

I understand that, this is the perfect example of now days hunting,

PAY TO PLAY.. JMO also..

I'm one of those guys that relies on hunting family land and people that are gracious enough to let me hunt with their permission.. I cant afford a lease.. I enjoy hunting, I just hate to see it turning into this..

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand that, this is the perfect example of now days hunting,

PAY TO PLAY.. JMO also..

I'm one of those guys that relies on hunting family land and people that are gracious enough to let me hunt with their permission.. I cant afford a lease.. I enjoy hunting, I just hate to see it turning into this..

Not everybody is fortunate to have family land to hunt on. Sometimes its pay for a lease or a tresspass fee or stay home and stop doing something thats a part of you. I will pay if I can. Public land is also a option.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buzz, your judging people is childish and serves no purpose.I myself have had to not go on 2 different Mcallester hunts due to work or family obligations.He may or may not have "bitched" about needing landowner permission for this hunt, but really who care.His thread was an offer for something, like in the classifieds if you don't like something or the price just exit out of the thread and go on.Jeez, I have CNN and MSNBC on my TV but I rarely watch it because I don't agree with it but I don't start chastizing them because "I" don't agree with what they say.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody want a ticket stub to Ted Nugent concert I went to in Tulsa a few years ago?

Buzz has a right to his viewpoint. It's a discussion board. He does make several valid points. Sounds like he didn't read the application.

The only way I'd miss a draw hunt is if the absence would make me lose one of my main customers (I'm self-employed.) And even then it would be a close call, depending on the hunt I might risk bankruptcy. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom