AR 10 or M1A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one would you choose?

• AR 10

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • M1A

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For your stated purposes I’d get a good AR10. It would be easily modified should the need arise. The accuracy and ease of mounting optics would be a huge plus on the AR10 as well. That said, I’m no hunter and I personally think the M1A would be super cool and way more fun to shoot at the range.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having owned both platforms I'd probably go with a bullpup.

M1A NM is super cool for a range blaster but humping it around isn't fun. Same for the AR10 I had.

They are both very heavy. If I have to deal with the weight I'd like to have a shorter overall platform and a bullpup gets you there without having a short barrel. M1A SOCOM, provided the range while hunting wasn't too far out would probably edge out the AR10 for me. I love AR15s but AR10s are tanks.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got both. M1A NM, Remington R-25 and a DPMS G2. For hunting, I have always been fond of the Remington but now that I got the G2, that is the one I grab when I’m going to be doing much walking.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot an AR10 and lost 90% of my handloaded brass.
What I did get back was dented severely.
It was not easy to hold on target after 100 yards for me.
I like the way a regular rifle shoulders like a bolt action.

Hunting close range I suppose it does not matter and you could get used to either one.
For protection?
Yea I do not want some long gun for that.
So whichever is shorter or whichever one swings better and you can get on target with quickest should be the choice.

I have no idea on reliability of either weapon but the AR10 I shot there was not any issues with feeding or cycling.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned both and the AR10 is the winner. M1A brass will separate just above the base after several firings. I've had this happen in matches so get a case extractor if you go with a M1A. I was told by older shooters to fire the brass 3 times and trash it. I don't think the best M1A can be as accurate as a Armalite AR10T. Mine has put 3 rounds in one hole at 100 yds. while being shot prone off a cheap bipod. If you needs change with an AR10 build or buy another upper.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned both and the AR10 is the winner. M1A brass will separate just above the base after several firings. I've had this happen in matches so get a case extractor if you go with a M1A. I was told by older shooters to fire the brass 3 times and trash it. I don't think the best M1A can be as accurate as a Armalite AR10T. Mine has put 3 rounds in one hole at 100 yds. while being shot prone off a cheap bipod. If you needs change with an AR10 build or buy another upper.
Agree. Both my AR-10’s will outshoot my national match any day.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which AR10? That makes a huge difference.
It will sound crazy but I am asking for a guy I know. He had not heard of an ar10 until I advised him about them this past Friday. I think his budget is around $1300. I'm not sure if that includes optic or not. I'm pretty sure his budget limits him from a higher quality AR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom