AR 15 new build issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK so this is my 2nd build.. had an issue with busten the roll pin on the gas block.. FBT hooked me up with a fix and now this.

My first build went as smooth as glass.. this one has been a pain in the butt!.. broke my vice had to get a new one, broke one of my punches, caught hell trying to get the barrel nut lined up ( until I got the new vice and put some torque on the thing)... got it all together a while ago ( we haven't shot it yet ).. without a mag in it will function nice and smooth pulling the charging handle.... did it about 50 times ( lubed ).. popped it open to check for wear and whatnot on the bolt and handle.. looks good for the most part... now here is the kicker... put in a mag with rounds to try and cycle them thru just using the charging handle.... well the dang bolt gets stuck forward and there is no pulling it back.. have to mortar it to get the round out..... does it just need some breaking in?

using factory ammo... tried different mags... pulling charging handle to load rounds and locking the bolt to the rear and using the bolt release... same issue.
the barrel is from FBT in 5.56.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what type of ammo are you using?

Can you slide a round into the chamber by hand and does it chamber completely without any effort other than gravity?

Sounds like a tight chamber to me. May only need a good scrub with a chamber brush. Although it may seem like sacrilege, I chuck one up in a drill to clean my chambers. Slow to medium speed with a solvent. Then run a dry patch through it and lightly oil.

The round should just drop in and fall out as long as the chamber is good and the round itself is spec. This assumes you are not trying it with an abnormally long hand loaded bullet which could touch the rifling.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
UMB is on the right track here. this sounds like a chamber thats just a little too tight. doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

If the round doesn't drop in and fall out all by itself, send it back under warranty if you can.

If you have a stripped bolt (no extractor or ejector) you should be able to insert a round, then place the bolt over it and engage the lugs with very little (if any) force by rotating it slightly.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what type of ammo are you using?

Can you slide a round into the chamber by hand and does it chamber completely without any effort other than gravity?

Sounds like a tight chamber to me. May only need a good scrub with a chamber brush. Although it may seem like sacrilege, I chuck one up in a drill to clean my chambers. Slow to medium speed with a solvent. Then run a dry patch through it and lightly oil.

The round should just drop in and fall out as long as the chamber is good and the round itself is spec. This assumes you are not trying it with an abnormally long hand loaded bullet which could touch the rifling.
rounds slide in with no resistance at all. I am using Federal ammo.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
duh!... I didn't even think of that.... ugh!
I did notice the bolt was pretty tight in the carrier.

It should be tight if it is a new BCG. If the action cycles smoothly without a round, but is hampered when a round is chambered you really only have three areas to look at. 1. Either the chamber is tight or the round itself is out of spec. 2. There is always a possibility that the extractor is messed up and the groove where the rim of the cartridge is too shallow which causes the extractor to stick out when a round is seated and impinges on the chamber locking lugs. 3. Bolt face is machined too shallow.

rounds slide in with no resistance at all. I am using Federal ammo.

Im not trying to be an ass here, since I have no idea about your level of expertise so bear with me. when you say the round slides in with no resistance, are you sure the round is fully in the chamber? Can you push it with your finger and seat it further?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom