AR-15 Piston Conversion Kit - Newbie Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like the title says I am a newbie to any type of AR-15 piston conversion and would like insights, experiences, etc.

I also have a few direct questions:

- When I search for piston conversion kits, I most commonly get hits for Adams Arms or CMMG kits but the prices seem to vary widely from ~$150 up to nearly $300 but the descriptions all say "all parts needed to convert" are included and the parts lists seem similar so - what am I not getting about these kits?

- After one purchases a kit - is it really a fairly benign job i.e. fit for a novice? There's a lot of pressure being shunts through lines or into pistons and I would have to either ruin a good rifle or injure anyone (including myself!)

Finally, any personal experience with one or another kit or maybe different ones would be appreciated.

VR,

MUgsy

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you want a piston gun over a gas gun ? Because the kool kids have one ? The main advance of the piston guns is IF you shoot 100's of rounds at a time(full auto) and yes they are little cleaner to run ,but if you clean your guns anyways after a range trip what is the differance ,why spend the money.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Shriner I'm a newbie to the conversion kits not to the earth - I'm a nearly 50 year old father of five and a retired active duty military officer so it isn't barrel envy. I don't give a rat's patoot about what the cool kids have or don't have. However, I am interested in having some new and clever hardware to do my own comparisons. So, while I will take your comments as charitably as I can - and I do appreciate the technical portion of your comments - please spare me the amateur psychoanalysis.

For future reference, a better way to approach the whole issue would be to simply give your summary of plusses/minuses and your assessment of the cost-benefit ratio without the insulting up front comments.

But Thanks Anyway because I appreciate your intent if not your delivery.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Imma Gonna resurrect this thread. As Mugsy somewhat intonated, I'm not particularly interested in "why" or "why not" arguments about whether I should or shouldn't want to convert a gas gun to piston operation. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with such a conversion that they'd like to share, especially any experience with any particular manufacturer, kit, or the distances between them.

Thanks in advance for any constructive information!

Latest posts

Top Bottom