Kit Building ARs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want help, come on by. You can use my tools and build it while I sip my coffee and offer tips and advise. Get the ins and outs and try before you buy on the tools.
I appreciate the offer, but I've already ordered what tools we need for lowers. Love to visit your shop sometime though.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys will have a ball. My first AR was a stripped lower and a complete parts kit from Model 1 Sales. At the time I needed it for cheap and that was about as cheap as it got in the days just before the AWB sunset. It may be full of cheap parts, but that rifle has more rounds than any of the AR15's I've gotten since. Extractor spring went limp at about 2k rounds, replaced it and it's been fine ever since.

These days I assemble my own not to keep it cheap, but to configure it exactly like I want it. I did what is probably my last one over the weekend. Now just need to shoot it.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are fun! My only suggestion is to watch about 10 different youtube videos first, you will learn a few different ways to do the same thing. (Channel locks with electrical tape is your new best friend)

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got to the range and both rifles shot fine. Got mine zeroed, but I didn't have the right tool to adjust my fathers iron sights. Ironically I will have one tomorrow on that multitool I ordered from the Amazon thread. Dad will put back on his red dot and magnifier and we will try again next week on his. Wilshire was busy today on the holiday week.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I'll tell you, make sure you install the trigger spring in the right orientation. A lot of guys accidentally install them backwards...even after their first build (ask me how I know) 😅
Hammer pin walks out, goes rat-a-tat-tat-tat. Goggle Johnny Lawmaster early 90's NRA poster boy.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got to the range and both rifles shot fine. Got mine zeroed, but I didn't have the right tool to adjust my fathers iron sights. Ironically I will have one tomorrow on that multitool I ordered from the Amazon thread. Dad will put back on his red dot and magnifier and we will try again next week on his. Wilshire was busy today on the holiday week.
Just know a fmj will work for the front sight in a pinch. :thumbup3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom