Kit Building ARs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad and I are probably going to be building PSA AR-15 kits as a father son project and I had some questions. Are there any special tools needed the way PSA sells the kits, with the uppers pretty much done? Any blocks or punches that the lowers need that might not exist in a regular tool kit? Here is an example of the kind of kit I'm talking about, comes with everything but a lower. Lastly is there a resource you would recommend for how to build the thing? Neither my father or I have ever built an AR before. I think there is a little bit of stuff on youtube, but they are death on actually teaching how to build. Maybe another video platform?
I remember my first build, I sat aside a whole day and was like "I'm finally gonna build my first AR" about an hour later I was like "that's it."

I recommend just using a box cutter blade to hold in the take down pin detent while you install the pin. You will need punches, castle nut wrench and a center punch to stake the castle nut. Also I use a piece of bamboo skewer as a slave pin to hold the trigger group in while I push the real pin through.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get an upper vise clamp WITH the insert. Don’t just clamp the upper in a vise.
He said he planned on getting an assembled upper. Looks like mainly lower receiver work. Don’t think he will need it. They are good tools to have though if one builds from scratch.

mn_danger

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SC00TCH use to have a great video on YouTube on how to assemble an AR, but it's been removed (pretty sure it's no longer available). Used it to build my first, wasn't available when my son built his. BUT...here is one on Rumble from IraqVeteran888.

I think this would be a decent place to start, or use if you get stuck.

One thing I'll tell you, make sure you install the trigger spring in the right orientation. A lot of guys accidentally install them backwards...even after their first build (ask me how I know) 😅

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SC00TCH use to have a great video on YouTube on how to assemble an AR, but it's been removed (pretty sure it's no longer available). Used it to build my first, wasn't available when my son built his. BUT...here is one on Rumble from IraqVeteran888.

I think this would be a decent place to start, or use if you get stuck.

One thing I'll tell you, make sure you install the trigger spring in the right orientation. A lot of guys accidentally install them backwards...even after their first build (ask me how I know) 😅

Yeah youtube changed their terms in 2018 to ban builds, most are gone. Thanks for the link, i'll give it a watch. We will have at least one AR there to serve as a template, while we are building, so that will help. I plan on using it when we get to the trigger, since what videos I have seen, can't really show the insertion part. Either don't have the angle or not enough zoom into the lower.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The extra springs and detents are sold as a package and usually called an "oops" kit. Can pick them up for under $10 and is a lot better than having to wait a week for that last detent that decided earth is not the place it wanted to stay. You've been warned. Lol.
My advice is don't rush it trying to get it all together all at once, but take y’alls time and smooth what needs smoothed and chase the tiny holes with drill bits or needle files by hand to make things go a lot easier. Have fun.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The extra springs and detents are sold as a package and usually called an "oops" kit. Can pick them up for under $10 and is a lot better than having to wait a week for that last detent that decided earth is not the place it wanted to stay. You've been warned. Lol.
My advice is don't rush it trying to get it all together all at once, but take y’alls time and smooth what needs smoothed and chase the tiny holes with drill bits or needle files by hand to make things go a lot easier. Have fun.
This is true. I have also taken to sticking neodymium magnets nearby and on sticks to do spring sweeps. I also "aim" at a spot that can catch the escapees. SA helps quite a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom