AR hammer question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am considering a Tactical Solutions AR upper. In doing a little research, it seems they will not work with a notched hammer which my AR has. What is the purpose of the notch and what happens if it is replaced with a non-nothced hammer? Thanks!

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah AR history...I love it so! The Notched hammer was a little deal Colt came up with to make the AFT feel good about them in the 70s..along with big take down pins, cutoff carriers and a couple other features. The idea was if someone installed full-auto parts, without the "autosear", allowing the hammer to follow the notch would catch the back of the bolt carrier, stoping the hammer from riding the carrier down and "slam firing". I guess quite a few makers thought that was cool and also got behind the notch. All I ever found it to do was chew up exposed firing pins (old style) and wreck aluminum carriers (go fast parts). Oh and BTW it din't stop anyone from coming after the "evil black rifle" so I guess it didn't work for that either. KurtM

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah AR history...I love it so! The Notched hammer was a little deal Colt came up with to make the AFT feel good about them in the 70s..along with big take down pins, cutoff carriers and a couple other features. The idea was if someone installed full-auto parts, without the "autosear", allowing the hammer to follow the notch would catch the back of the bolt carrier, stoping the hammer from riding the carrier down and "slam firing". I guess quite a few makers thought that was cool and also got behind the notch. All I ever found it to do was chew up exposed firing pins (old style) and wreck aluminum carriers (go fast parts). Oh and BTW it din't stop anyone from coming after the "evil black rifle" so I guess it didn't work for that either. KurtM

Thanks! btw - I was surfing arfcom and noticed someone had asked the same question. I didn't take credit for the answer but I copy and pasted your response. Hope you don't mind.:thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom