AR in 450 Bushmaster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impalaSS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been researching the 450 bushmaster round considering building my next AR around one. I would like some input from people who have a gun chambered in this round. What is the effective range for hunting deer and pigs, what is the recoil like and reloading data is hornady the only company that makes brass and bullets for this round?

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been researching the 450 bushmaster round considering building my next AR around one. I would like some input from people who have a gun chambered in this round. What is the effective range for hunting deer and pigs, what is the recoil like and reloading data is hornady the only company that makes brass and bullets for this round?

My main reason for selecting a 458 SOCOM instead of a 450 Bushmaster was existing bullet selection. The 458 SOCOM uses the same bullet as the 45/70 (.458), so there was already a decent selection of rifle bullets available. No price bump cause it was "458 SOCOM". The 450 Bushmaster uses the same bullet as the 45 ACP (.452), so the initial bullets available were more designed for pistol use instead of rifle.

My comments are limited to the research I did over a year ago when I was making my decision. I can not speak to any new choices available in bullets for the 450 Bushmaster.

impalaSS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My main reason for selecting a 458 SOCOM instead of a 450 Bushmaster was existing bullet selection. The 458 SOCOM uses the same bullet as the 45/70 (.458), so there was already a decent selection of rifle bullets available. No price bump cause it was "458 SOCOM". The 450 Bushmaster uses the same bullet as the 45 ACP (.452), so the initial bullets available were more designed for pistol use instead of rifle.

My comments are limited to the research I did over a year ago when I was making my decision. I can not speak to any new choices available in bullets for the 450 Bushmaster.

I also looked at the 458 socom. I didnt realize the bullet diameter .458 was the same as the 45/70 that definatly is a plus for bullet avalibility. I am not stuck on the .450 I would also consider the .458. Basically whatever one is cheaper to reload for, and has available reloading componets without going to a specality shop. anyone else with AR's in the .45 caliber I would like input. Are you happy with your .458 purchase, what kind of accuracy, and what is it used for? hunting or just shooting.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time I have seen the 450 bushmaster was last year in Minn. a guy had one for our black bear hunt.I filmed him get his bear and he shot a 200# bear that dropped in it's tracks from 25 yards.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Have owned the SOCOM for 3 years now and it's a blast. Went with it because I shoot alot of 45-70 and already had lots of bullets. 325gr hornady leverution bullets are terror on does!

Merlin72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one and love it though I haven't taken any critters with it just yet. As far as ammo goes , You have Remington and Hornaday both producing .450 ammo. You don't have that with .458 or 50 Beowolf. If you are loading yourself go to the 450 bushmaster forum and they have loads worked up for alot heavier rounds.
All in all it is a 200 yard gun. I have only shot mine out to about 100 because I am currently running an Eotech on it.
With factory loads the recoil felt is about the same as a 12 gauge shotgun with a light bird load.

impalaSS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I really like the 450 but im probally gonna wait a year or two and see if the reloading componet prices go down. because i can reload .308's cheaper at the moment but if 450 gets more popular and more companies become involved I'm sure prices will go down. If not i will probally build an ar10 in .308.

Latest posts

Top Bottom