AR info please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was never an AR fan...strictly old school but I recently got the urge. I guess because everyone else has one. I bought a NIB Ruger 556. It shoots good but the trigger pull is ridiculous! I could send out for lunch before the gun fired. Is there an easy, cheap fix for the trigger?

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are many good drop in trigger groups like rise armament, timney, and AR Gold.
Listed in order of price. I have the timney and it's very nice. Haven't had hands on AR Gold yet, but many say they are the best.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently got a Larue MBT-2S, a bit cheaper than some of the drop-in options, but it is a 2-stage. Lots and lots of options for triggers out there, though.

You could go with a simple spring kit and maybe buff/sand it down to smooth it out. I've got the JP low-power spring kit in one of mine and like it just fine. Some people have had issues with some light strikes with the low power spring, but you can either cut down your hammer, or buy a special bobbed hammer. If searching you can use "light" or "lightened hammer" or bobbed or cut or speed hammer. You could get away as low as $20 or so if you wanted to, or you can spend $300 on a trigger. It's all up to you.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ALG triggers are probably the cheapest upgrade you will find. They generally break at 5-6lb. I have never heard of the trigger on the AR556 or SR556 to be that bad though. Before you go and monkey around with buying new triggers, id get one of those trigger testing doohickies and find out what the trigger pull actually is. If this is your first AR you may just not be accustomed to a military single stage trigger.