AR open carry at Hafer park in Edmond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the intent is to “educate”, the PD and the public, why not print brochures with legal references cited and give classes? People strutting around with rifle platform “pistols” making videos and attracting attention, make all carriers look bad. We have a good thing going and all it takes is the wrong impression to the wrong person who has the influence to change to the other direction to mess it up for all of us.

We’ve been telling the non gun public that gun owners are careful, respectful and law abiding and they have nothing to fear from us. I see these “audits” as totally different. These people are being looked at in the same light as the Sovereign Citizens and it’s not a good image.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The response video from a woman in the park that was posted further back in this thread. She talked about all the firearms, knives and ammo he was carrying. He walked right by her vehicle while she was putting her son in his car seat. You can tell it really scared her.

The description she gave is so frantic and emotional (understandably so) it’s not out of the question that she may be describing a slung pistol, a holstered pistol, a reload, and a knife, which is not exactly being “decked out like Neo.” Lots of guys carry two pistols. Lots of guys carry a reload. And almost every guy carries a knife. I’m not saying he wasn’t carrying more or even that he wasn’t trying to look scary. But I refuse to assume things that may plausibly be untrue. I wonder if EPD wear body cameras. Besides, you were pretty critical of him before the response video was posted, so it seems like him possibly carrying enough weapons to look like a potential mass shooter isn’t what’s really bothering you.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
gun.jpg

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the intent is to “educate”, the PD and the public, why not print brochures with legal references cited and give classes? People strutting around with rifle platform “pistols” making videos and attracting attention, make all carriers look bad. We have a good thing going and all it takes is the wrong impression to the wrong person who has the influence to change to the other direction to mess it up for all of us.

We’ve been telling the non gun public that gun owners are careful, respectful and law abiding and they have nothing to fear from us. I see these “audits” as totally different. These people are being looked at in the same light as the Sovereign Citizens and it’s not a good image.

This^^^

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think "AR Pistols" should have a sharpened spike on the end of the buffer tube vs the "tail hook" so they are used as designed.
Nothing but a work around to avoid a class III.
I've never seen anyone fire an "AR Pistol" as a pistol at our range. They always shoulder the tail hook.

I agree they are skirting the rules. It will catch up with them I am sure. What I can't stand is a guy with a 7in barrel ar shooting on the bench-rest right next to me. Those things are so @#$%@#$ loud and the muzzle break is tossing crap all over me while I am next to them.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I completely support the goal of normalizing the sight of firearms being carried in everyday situations, including taking a walk in the park. There’s no good reason the sight of someone carrying a firearm should be alarming absent any indication they intend to use it for an unlawful purpose. But we’re not there yet. What this guy did was too inflammatory for the current climate. Heck, it appears it was too inflammatory for most of OSA. It was a strategic mistake. People need time and gradual steps to acclimate to the fact that their fears of firearms are irrational and that countless ordinary people carry guns around them every day without anything bad happening as a result.

This guy’s purpose of educating the public and the police would have been better served by doing something more organized, like carrying AR style pistols in a group, including women and children, and notifying police ahead of time. That would have been perceived as less threatening to the current societal norms, since it would have framed it more as a political demonstration and removed the element of an urgent police response, but still would have moved the needle and forced Edmond PD to educate themselves of the relevant laws. Do that once or twice, get it on the news, and then a guy going for a walk alone in the park with a gun on a sling doesn’t seem like such an emergency. Still going to make people nervous? Yep. And that’s okay. The more experiences people have where they encounter guns being used/carried lawfully and their worst fears aren’t realized, the more they will internalize the fact that lawful gun ownership, even of scary-looking guns, is not the threat they imagine it to be.

Now, I would prefer not to have people carrying long guns around all the time. I don’t think there’s ordinarily a compelling reason to and I’m not crazy about the idea of people walking around without triggers covered by a holster. If I’m at the park with my kids and a guy walks by with an AR-15, I might be uncomfortable. And I’ll keep an eye on him. But he has just as much right to use the park as I do, and to carry whatever firearm he believes is most suitable for him and his lawful purposes. If I get uncomfortable enough, I’m free to leave the park. I’m willing to put up with that inconvenience to know that whatever situation arises, I and everyone else in Oklahoma will have the freedom to choose whatever weapon is appropriate for the circumstances. For example, if there’s massive civil unrest and I have to go out in public (something I would avoid if at all possible), I’m not going to take only a pistol. If that situation came up and police hadn’t already been exposed to lawful rifle carry, it’s likely they would try to prevent it. Auditors like Tim, despite how frustrating they can be and the mistakes they make, are helping keep those rights alive for the rest of us. So just as much as they deserve to be criticized for their errors, they deserve to be thanked for doing a thankless job and for the things they get right. In this case, we can all probably at least agree that he was respectful and obedient to the police’s lawful orders (although technically the SDA doesn’t allow disarming a licensee like they did).

Someone mentioned that we can’t tell a long gun toting hick out on a grocery trip from a mass shooter. Seriously? That’s the same tired argument used against open carrying holstered pistols. You want to know how to tell the difference? The mass shooter is the guy pointing a gun and shooting at people, not the guy putting eggs and milk in his shopping cart. If you’re imagining the presence of a gun being your main clue that someone is up to no good, you are in dire need of reevaluating your survival preparedness. Far more important and relevant than being able to say “derp, that guy has a gun,” is having good situational awareness and the ability to recognize and respond to pre-attack indicators. Not every violent criminal is going to come at you with an AR-15 in hand. Be more wary of people who aren’t acting right than people who happen to be openly carrying a firearm, long or otherwise.

Sorry Ethan, but I’m shaking my head at this notion. The guy casually putting his milk and eggs in the cart may be a split second way from becoming the next mass shooter. Acceptance brings complacency, complacency brings carelessness, and carelessness can quickly be a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Sorry Ethan, but I’m shaking my head at this notion. The guy casually putting his milk and eggs in the cart may be a split second way from becoming the next mass shooter. Acceptance brings complacency, complacency brings carelessness, and carelessness can quickly be a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What brings all this paranoia?

Latest posts

Top Bottom