AR Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Post ban does not have a bayonet lug, a flash suppressor, or a retractable/folding stock. I'd have to research and see if there were any other restrictions.

Pistol magazines were also restircted to 10 rounds or less. Only Law enforcement could purchase any magazines over 10 rounds and they had to keep them in their possession. They were marked "RESTRICTED, For Law Enforcement/Military use only". If they were given or sold to anyone not LE, it was a felony.

A pre-ban has all of those evil features listed above that are supposed to encourage crime and violence.

Since the Assault Weapon Ban (AWB) went away, those things no longer apply except in some states that adopted the AWB permanently. The pre-ban and post-ban stuff will be brought up when a dealer tries to squeeze more money out of someone who doesn't keep up with whats going on.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought another item was that Pre-ban ARs were able to have 14.5" barrels with perm-afixed flash-suppressors where as Clinton-ban era guns had to have 18" minimum (with "muzzle break" since no flash-hiders were allowed).

There were a bunch of "can't have this plus this, plus this or this" kind of rules during the Clinton ban, but the word Pre-ban is meaningless now, and its mostly used to inflate the price of something someone is selling (not saying that anyone on this board is doing that, but I've seen plenty of gun-shops or pawn-shops throw that description around).

Someone needs to post up the entire Clinton "Assault Weapon" ban (Man I hate the phrase "Assault weapon").

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I thought another item was that Pre-ban ARs were able to have 14.5" barrels with perm-afixed flash-suppressors where as Clinton-ban era guns had to have 18" minimum (with "muzzle break" since no flash-hiders were allowed).

There were a bunch of "can't have this plus this, plus this or this" kind of rules during the Clinton ban, but the word Pre-ban is meaningless now, and its mostly used to inflate the price of something someone is selling (not saying that anyone on this board is doing that, but I've seen plenty of gun-shops or pawn-shops throw that description around).

Someone needs to post up the entire Clinton "Assault Weapon" ban (Man I hate the phrase "Assault weapon").

there were some 14.5" with permanantly attached muzzle brakes, but not flash hiders.

16" was still the minimum length.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The law (Section 921 (a) (30), Title 18 U.S.C.) defined it as so:
  1. Any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as;
    • Norinco, Mitchell, Poly Technologies, Avtomat Kalashinikovs.
    • Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI, Galil.
    • Beretta Ar70 (SC-70).
    • Colt AR-15
    • Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, FNC.
    • SWD M-10, M-11, M-11-9, M-12.
    • Steyr AUG.
    • Intratec TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22.
    • Revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12.
  2. Any semiautomatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following features:
    • a folding or telescoping stock.
    • a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    • a bayonet mount.
    • a flash suppressor or a threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor.
    • a grenade launcher.
  3. A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following features:
    • an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip.
    • a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer.
    • a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned.
    • a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded.
    • a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.
  4. A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of the following features:
    • a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds.
    • an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The law (Section 921 (a) (30), Title 18 U.S.C.) defined it as so:
  1. Any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as;
    • Norinco, Mitchell, Poly Technologies, Avtomat Kalashinikovs.
    • Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI, Galil.
    • Beretta Ar70 (SC-70).
    • Colt AR-15
    • Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, FNC.
    • SWD M-10, M-11, M-11-9, M-12.
    • Steyr AUG.
    • Intratec TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22.
    • Revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12.
  2. Any semiautomatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following features:
    • a bayonet mount.
    • a flash suppressor or a threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor.
    • a grenade launcher.
  3. A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following features:
    • an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip.
    • a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer.
    • a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned.
    • a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded.
    • a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.
  4. A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of the following features:
    • a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds.
    • an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Wow - I've never seen more stupidity in a single law before.

Thanks for posting man, but now I'm a little depressed at what this country's leaders were capable back when times were actually better than they are now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom