AR Styles/Calibers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well... I'm having a hard time justifying another caliber of ammo to buy, but I'm still reading stuff and kickin' around this AR15 idea.

What do ya'll think about 80% lowers? They're cheaper (I have sufficient skills/equipment btw), though that might put the project a bit farther into the future.

On the plus side, there's no FFL paper trail or transfer fee involved.

I assume aluminum would be the way to go (correct me if I'm wrong), but is there a brand you guys recommend?

Thanks. :drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well... I'm having a hard time justifying another caliber of ammo to buy, but I'm still reading stuff and kickin' around this AR15 idea.

What do ya'll think about 80% lowers? They're cheaper (I have sufficient skills/equipment btw), though that might put the project a bit farther into the future.

On the plus side, there's no FFL paper trail or transfer fee involved.

I assume aluminum would be the way to go (correct me if I'm wrong), but is there a brand you guys recommend?

Thanks. :drunk2:
You can buy an Anderson Lower on Primary arms today for $39. Why would you want to spend any time on a drill press making a junker looking lower that will likely cause you problems if not done 100% correctly that will take hours and hours to build?
The only reason for an 80% lower is if your paranoid about the gubberment knowing you have a gun.
If your a member of OSA, they already know that, or any other forum for that matter.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speak for yerself, but I don't build junker stuff. :P
Have you looked into how the 80% lowers are built? I don't build junk either, but I wouldn't spend hours on finishing one when a lower can be bought for less than $40.
In the time I posted previously, I see there is one listed on OSA for $40.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you looked into how the 80% lowers are built? I don't build junk either, but I wouldn't spend hours on finishing one when a lower can be bought for less than $40.
In the time I posted previously, I see there is one listed on OSA for $40.
Lol, we're obviously not the same person.

I like building stuff and making it go (always have). Don't get to do it much these days, but it does make an AR project sound more interesting.

Surely someone here has made one (or more) with an 80% lower...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, we're obviously not the same person.

I like building stuff and making it go (always have). Don't get to do it much these days, but it does make an AR project sound more interesting.

Surely someone here has made one (or more) with an 80% lower...
I love projects as well, but there comes a time when I personally don't want to spend the time on a project when I can buy cheap and spend my time doing something that would save me more money. You have to buy or rent the jigs to finish an 80% lower, with the rent costing more than a lower. They return your money if the jig comes back to them with no damage. Your out postage both ways and the inconvenience of going to the post office and packaging.
Those are my reasons for me not doing one.
I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing one for your own reasons, just putting some facts out there that dissuaded me.
If you decide to do one, I'm all for it. No objections from me and I'll be interested in seeing your results.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeeeaaaaaaah Im with dennis on this one, why the hell wouldn't you just buy an Anderson lower vs finishing an 80%? Im assuming by your question you don't have one now so my advice is to go ahead and buy the Anderson, knock one out and play with it a while...1 AR usually turns into 2 or 3 or more so you can mess with an 80% down the road.

Latest posts

Top Bottom