AR15 optics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After some research I went with the primary arms lucid hd7. Seems like a solid 200 dollar plinking red dot. Also got the 2x magnifier.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Viper is not first focal plane.

The Razor HD ($1,200) is.

You are correct. I am not sure if I missed the S or was forgetting since I own the PST.

Uncapped turrets don't belong on a 4x scope.
I don't necessarily disagree, but if they are on there they should lock. I would rather have locking external turrets on pretty much any scope. Same difference as having a cap.

I don't really agree with this. I have never had a problem with the turrets moving on my Viper PST while trekking around Canton looking for animals to shoot. I have had Butler Creek caps get broken from walking through some pretty thick stuff but the turrets never moved one bit.

Besides the Viper PST is not your normal hunting 1-4 scope. It is more of a tactical scope, that will be fine when used for hunting, made to give you a cheaper but still quality option instead of the NF 1-4 or S&B 1.1-4 scopes that are at least double the price.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really agree with this. I have never had a problem with the turrets moving on my Viper PST while trekking around Canton looking for animals to shoot. I have had Butler Creek caps get broken from walking through some pretty thick stuff but the turrets never moved one bit.

Besides the Viper PST is not your normal hunting 1-4 scope. It is more of a tactical scope, that will be fine when used for hunting, made to give you a cheaper but still quality option instead of the NF 1-4 or S&B 1.1-4 scopes that are at least double the price.

When I was shooting a 1-4x Viper PST...I spun the turrets pulling the gun out of the case/my truck, while running with my sling, and going into/out of supported positions. It wasn't an every day thing, but it's inevitable if you shoot competition. After the 5th or 6th time I got tired of it.

I also don't believe in "doping" a 1-4x on a little old .223, hence my comment on exposed turrets!! ;)

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with 1-4x if you need magnification AND you absolutely need 1x. If you're mostly going to use this outdoors I would argue that a 3-9x is much more useful and 3x is still pretty darn fast between 15-50 yards. However, if you're going to be doing a lot of rapid target engagements at about 25 yards or less, then 1x is good to have.

The Burris Tac30 gets really great reviews from 3 gunners and I personally have used the Leatherwood CMR. Both are very excellent 1-4x scopes. The Tac30 is better geared towards rapid target acquisition and shooting. The reticle just really stands out and is great for shooting many targets very quickly. The Leatherwood CMR is much better for long distance shooting. The reticle is much more accurate and has features like a zero lock on the turrets. On the CMR, you sight it in at 100 yards and set the zero lock once you're done sighting it in. From then on, if your target is out to 200 yards, just move the turret to 2. For 300 yards, just move it to 3, ect. If you need to rapidly go back to your original zero, just move the turret all the way down until it locks and stops turning. Now you're back at your original 100 zero. I really loved this feature on the CMR scope.

I found that with a 1-4x sight, I'm either at 1x or 4x. I never use the magnifications in between. I wish someone would develop a scope that would easily and quickly switch from 1x to 4x with a flick of a lever or knob and completely bypass the magnifications in between. I'm actually toying with going with just a dedicated 3x or 4x prism scope like the Burris AR-332 or the Primary Arms 3x scope and then using a a canted red dot sight at the 1 o clock position off the handguard or maybe mount it on top of the scope itself. Both of these scopes have gotten some great reviews.

If you want to go with a red dot + 3x magnifier, I would recommend going the Eotech route. The 1 moa dot lends itself better for shooting with magnification. Primary arms sells 3x magnifiers for $60-$100 last I checked and they're really good for the money. Don't really know anyone who complains about their 3x magnifiers.

My gripe with the red dot + magnifier setup is weight and rail space. That's a ton of stuff on top of your AR and makes it look pretty ridiculous. The added weight is a huge negative. The flip mounts seem nifty but does throw the balance a bit off, especially if you're running a light mounted on the right side, as well. Most people (myself included) never really use the magnifier and you'll end up leaving it off the rifle after the novelty wears out.

The Elcan Spectre DR is a 1x or 4x power scope (switched via lever like you wished). Be prepared to drop $2K. They are pretty nice.

I find the magnifications in between 1x and 4x handy occasionally, but not often. It's a field of view thing...I generally want as much magnification as I can, but if I am engaging multiple targets I want to be able to see my next couple of targets without fishing.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive run the elcan before and you better be right behind the scope if youre going to see anything... its a ***** to run and gun with one.

and aestus, I know of a certain moustached guy whos won several big three gun matches without a true 1x; his was a 3.5x acog. not having
a 1x just means you have to train for it.

that said, Im a 1x guy

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never seen vdub's turrets turn, but I've seen it way the heck off after a trip in the case. Remember when we went to the range after Canton when I got the krink done and it was way off to one side?

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was shooting a 1-4x Viper PST...I spun the turrets pulling the gun out of the case/my truck, while running with my sling, and going into/out of supported positions. It wasn't an every day thing, but it's inevitable if you shoot competition. After the 5th or 6th time I got tired of it.

I also don't believe in "doping" a 1-4x on a little old .223, hence my comment on exposed turrets!! ;)

I know Vortex stopped shipping some of the first PST scopes due to the turrets being very easy to move. I agree and don't try to set dope on the scope but do know the adjustments. What I do is set the scope to one distance that i will possibly be shooting at and keep the adjustments in mind if I need to shoot longer than where it is set.

I've never seen vdub's turrets turn, but I've seen it way the heck off after a trip in the case. Remember when we went to the range after Canton when I got the krink done and it was way off to one side?

No, don't remember that. Most of the time that any of the scopes I have being off are usually attributed to different loads or shooting suppressed/unsuppressed or me screwing something up. While hunting I never remember any of the scopes getting screwed up from removing or inserting into the case or walking around. Since I have figured out the scope adjustments for different ranges and store it in my phone, I check it at every spot to make sure nothing changed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom