AR15 optics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am currently in the market for an ar-15 optic. Before i start, I CANNOT afford a acog. That being said, I am looking for a fixed range scope in the 2x-4x range or a red dot with a magnifier. I would prefer to get something without batteries or electronics but beggars can't be choosers. I am looking to spend $300-400 and could go a some more with more time and the product was right.

Just seeing if anybody here has seen or owns anything like what I'm looking for that you think might be a good fit for what I'm looking for. the one I'm leaning towards right now is the burris m332.

http://www.amazon.com/Burris-300208...UPEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325795245&sr=8-1

I'm also seeing good things about vortex sparc and strikefire.

Thanks

Last edited:

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to up your budget some, I would recommend looking at the Vortex Viper PST 1-4 scope. It is a FFP scope with lit reticle and is a very nice scope. Vortex also has very good customer service. It runs between $465-500.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've been looking at the viper. One thing I'm trying to find on it is how easy is it to use in close quarters? I like the idea of a magnifier so I can do both, but would mind saving a little more to get the viper if it does everything I'm looking to do. Would it still keep a solid zero with a flip out mount that way I could use my irons for my primary close quarters sights, or would this scope suffice? Sorry if the question seems a little dumb but I'm just beginning to get into the optics world.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was me I would spend the money for an Aimpoint (I know you said no batteries...but they battery life is like 5 years) or an Eotech. The aimpoint will have to have a mount and the eotech won't. you will have to spring for a side flip magnifier for either of these....if you shop around you can find a Eotech for around 350.00 ish or an aimpoint for 430.00 ish. But thats just me.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you want to up your budget some, I would recommend looking at the Vortex Viper PST 1-4 scope. It is a FFP scope with lit reticle and is a very nice scope. Vortex also has very good customer service. It runs between $465-500.

They have a version with caps instead of exposed turrets which is what I'd get if I were in the mood for getting, goes for less money too. The only issue is a good mount for one will be another $150-200.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The Viper is not first focal plane.

The Razor HD ($1,200) is.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with 1-4x if you need magnification AND you absolutely need 1x. If you're mostly going to use this outdoors I would argue that a 3-9x is much more useful and 3x is still pretty darn fast between 15-50 yards. However, if you're going to be doing a lot of rapid target engagements at about 25 yards or less, then 1x is good to have.

The Burris Tac30 gets really great reviews from 3 gunners and I personally have used the Leatherwood CMR. Both are very excellent 1-4x scopes. The Tac30 is better geared towards rapid target acquisition and shooting. The reticle just really stands out and is great for shooting many targets very quickly. The Leatherwood CMR is much better for long distance shooting. The reticle is much more accurate and has features like a zero lock on the turrets. On the CMR, you sight it in at 100 yards and set the zero lock once you're done sighting it in. From then on, if your target is out to 200 yards, just move the turret to 2. For 300 yards, just move it to 3, ect. If you need to rapidly go back to your original zero, just move the turret all the way down until it locks and stops turning. Now you're back at your original 100 zero. I really loved this feature on the CMR scope.

I found that with a 1-4x sight, I'm either at 1x or 4x. I never use the magnifications in between. I wish someone would develop a scope that would easily and quickly switch from 1x to 4x with a flick of a lever or knob and completely bypass the magnifications in between. I'm actually toying with going with just a dedicated 3x or 4x prism scope like the Burris AR-332 or the Primary Arms 3x scope and then using a a canted red dot sight at the 1 o clock position off the handguard or maybe mount it on top of the scope itself. Both of these scopes have gotten some great reviews.

If you want to go with a red dot + 3x magnifier, I would recommend going the Eotech route. The 1 moa dot lends itself better for shooting with magnification. Primary arms sells 3x magnifiers for $60-$100 last I checked and they're really good for the money. Don't really know anyone who complains about their 3x magnifiers.

My gripe with the red dot + magnifier setup is weight and rail space. That's a ton of stuff on top of your AR and makes it look pretty ridiculous. The added weight is a huge negative. The flip mounts seem nifty but does throw the balance a bit off, especially if you're running a light mounted on the right side, as well. Most people (myself included) never really use the magnifier and you'll end up leaving it off the rifle after the novelty wears out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom