Archery from the ground

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
season is early , weather has been hot and cool front sometimes messes things up.
We had a bunch of rain this year ..food and water is plentiful and i feel the deer will or may not travel as far as a drier year.
Be patient it is a long season.
I have only got a couple deer with a bow.. was not easy.. hunted for many years with a 40lb recurve

voodoobass

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only shot one from the ground, and that was dumb luck. Was about to climb my tree when I heard something moving. Turned and looked and saw a doe moving along about 30 yards out. Took my bow off my pull up rope, knocked an arrow and let it fly. A small limb deflected the arrow at the last moment, resulting in a butt shot. Lots of blood on the ground, some chipped bone fragments. Wound up trailing and pushing her almost all day until she fell over exhausted. Was definitely not a pretty kill.
If you hunt from the ground, make sure you have clear shooting lanes. There's lots more little twigs and limbs sticking up at ground level than there are from a tree stand vantage.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Have shot several deer from the ground just sitting in the tall grass next to a pond when they would come to water. You can get away with a lot in a 20-30mph wind, a leafy suit and knowing exactly where they were going to approach the pond.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first ever bow kill was from the ground. I was still-hunting down an old overgrown logging trail. Heard a crashing noise on my flank, stopped, and watched as a buck leaped over a deadfall about 25 yards away. He stopped, looked at me with his head cocked to the side, and I took a full frontal shot at his chest before he could bolt.

Hit him square, he reared up on his back legs, pivoted, and fell over, still breathing. He never got back up again.

Had another chance a few months later...I was one side of a bush while a buck was going nuts tearing up an area where I'd put some Tink's down...he actually started to come through and I saw bone before he caught wind of me and bolted. I could've touched him with the arrow if he'd taken another step or two.

Latest posts

Top Bottom