are moison nagant rifles good for deer and hog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7.62X54r is similar to the .30-06 I believe. I bet with some soft point ammo you would do just fine with it. Just make sure you practice enough with the rifle to make sure you can hit what you're aiming at consistently.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on how many you want to kill with one shot. It should be good for at least 7 or 8 deer per shot if you line them up just right. Of course, if you shoot them from more than 1,000 yards away, it may only be good for 4 or 5 per shot.

Just kidding you, it will work fine. Just get a good hunting round for it, and pay attention to safety rule #4, because it will shoot a looooong ways. :)

For some good Mosin Nagant info, look here:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, it is pretty much the equal of a 30-06 and should be an awesome deer slayer. Do Not try to use that cheap Russian surplus ammo for hunting purposes. Save it for practice and buy some good soft point ammo for your hunting. There might even be some ammo made by Winchester or Federal or somebody that is loaded with some really good bullets, like nosler partitions or something like that.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just make sure you can hit where you're aiming and you'll be in like flynn. That's a powerful weapon. I still get a kick out of the ak/ar/nagant humor.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's fine, but you can't use steel core ammo to hunt deer with.

I can't remember if you could use steel core on hogs, you might be able to. Check your regs.

You want lead soft points or bonded JHP anyway

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think hogs "count" on the ammo type question...and when I go look, I can't find any mention of bullet type in the ODWC regulation summary web page.

If you want new non-corrosive ammo but aren't wanting to spend more on 5 boxes of ammo than you did for your "new" rifle ;) try the Silver Bear. They make a 203gr soft point that should do the trick. Just be sure to wash your hands, as that zinc plating will rub off.

ltdavel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The round will do the job. It dates back to the days when manly men shot Enfields, Kar 98 Mausers, and '03 Springfields out to a thousand yards. (I didn't say that they were expected to hit much of anything, but they could shoot that far and still do some damage). Take the rifle to the range and get used to the sights - they're pretty hard for this old man to see but you may be able to do better. The rifle is a typical Russian piece of hardware - ugly, simple and built like a tank.

Latest posts

Top Bottom