Are we under an upgraded threat level that I don't know about?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you not concerned about theft or loss? I know you're doing paperwork and all, but it's just a piece of paper. Theft from luggage is at an all time high, not to mention outright losing them.

http://www.cntraveler.com/travel-ti...nes-baggage-luggage-checked-fees-missing-bags

Benefits outweigh the risk?

Yup, I feel the benefits outweigh the risk. On top of it all, I had my flight on the way home cancelled, was rolled over 8 times, overnight, did not make it home for 24 hours after my original flight. My suitcase however made it home 18 hours before me, and was waiting sitting outside of the AA baggage office in the open.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got bullet fragments in my left leg that show up on the full body xray. Never a problem before. Now they pay extra attention and seem puzzled when the pat down doesn't reveal anything.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With regards to the Threat Level, I believe the level is at yellow, but the airline industry has been at orange for a long time, IIRC it was back to the water bomb deal that they discovered in the UK.

Also I am pretty sure that you are not supposed to be able to carry ammo in the magazine. You are supposed to have it in a special container specifically for carrying ammo. Like the original cardboard box or reloader ammo boxes.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With regards to the Threat Level, I believe the level is at yellow, but the airline industry has been at orange for a long time, IIRC it was back to the water bomb deal that they discovered in the UK.

Also I am pretty sure that you are not supposed to be able to carry ammo in the magazine. You are supposed to have it in a special container specifically for carrying ammo. Like the original cardboard box or reloader ammo boxes.

Nope, it has to be contained either in a magazine original or hard box inside the hard case.

From the TSA website:

Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. ( A Magazine is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. They basically do not want it loose in the suitcase.
Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be flying (with pistol as always) later this week and again next week. I usually fly once or twice a month, but have not since early November. With very few exceptions it has always been a breeze checking in and getting through security.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, it has to be contained either in a magazine original or hard box inside the hard case.

From the TSA website:

Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. ( A Magazine is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. They basically do not want it loose in the suitcase.
Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.

I guess you are forced to carry without the typically assumed +1 capacity of your firearms when on the road?

Here's a question, if you are traveling with a high cap mag with all this high cap mag non-sense do you run the risk of having it taken away because of it's high-capacityness?

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess you are forced to carry without the typically assumed +1 capacity of your firearms when on the road?

Here's a question, if you are traveling with a high cap mag with all this high cap mag non-sense do you run the risk of having it taken away because of it's high-capacityness?

Yes, if I am in an area that does not allow them. When I am going into one of those areas, I may just take my 642

Latest posts

Top Bottom