Argh... hanging new doors SUCKS.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now I see why they charge so much to come out and do it. We're replacing every door in our house and just trying to get the first one done right is an absolute pain. Test-fitting, drilling holes for hardware to line up with the knob-height for existing holes, chiseling out hinge slots in the new door, then painting the things (several coats on each side), then finally hanging it and.... it's like 1/8 of an inch too high. SHEISSE!!!

Problem is, to move it down, we'd have to pull the hinges, fill the holes,let set, re-drill new screw holes 1/8" higher and then hope the knob hardware still lines up properly.

Or, go buy a plane and shave off the top of the door and then repaint it again. Not a huge deal, who sees the top of a door? Maybe we could skip the painting... but don't want to half-ass this project, we're trying to modernize our house.

Gods... only 16 more to go when we finally get this one right, I think. lol

mapcon1941

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you can take your old doors and replacement doors to Millcreek Lumber and they will match up hinge and doorknob cuts. I have no idea what that would cost, but it might be worth a call?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm.... it might. But I don't have a pickup, and they don't fit well in my Tahoe. <sigh>

I might rent a truck, though, if I could take them all at once. Maybe we'll give them a call.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
M+M will probably do them as well, of the 2 I prefer M+M.

It's pretty easy with the old doors, just set them side by side and run the lines.

I have a lock boring tool, makes quick work of the process, clamp it in the right place, chuck onto the bit and drill the knob hole, then chuck onto the bit for the plunger hole. If it wasn't very old I would loan it to you.

There was a guy on CL selling a similar tool and hinge jigs not long ago.

Fine Homebuilding has a slew of good info.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/sea...+doors&siteurl=www.finehomebuilding.com/&ref=

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep your chin up man. I have a door on sawhorses in the garage with its 3rd coar of stain drying right now.

With interior doors and 16 more to go I would buy the planer and make life easier.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Hanging doors is a painstaking job. I feel ya on that one. Only thing I hate worse is taping and bedding.

Remember the first rule of house remodeling: Measure twice, cut once.

Also remember that you start off cutting small; it's much easier to cut more than to add it back on!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prehung? I'm not replacing the entire door jamb. Just the interior doors... we've already repainted all the trim. Not to mention the cost... UGH.

We have the doorhole jig... just that when we did the hinge-cutting, we must have been off by a TINY amount... and now it doesn't close.

So... we'll re-do it. Probably going to go with the planing it down idea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom