Argh... hanging new doors SUCKS.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prehung? I'm not replacing the entire door jamb. Just the interior doors... we've already repainted all the trim. Not to mention the cost... UGH.

We have the doorhole jig... just that when we did the hinge-cutting, we must have been off by a TINY amount... and now it doesn't close.

So... we'll re-do it. Probably going to go with the planing it down idea.

LOL this is why pre hung doors are your friend.
I feel your pain, heck I can even order you doors with trim already attached.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make a story pole. Cut a piece of 1x2 the length of the jamb, place it flush to the header, mark your hinge pockets, and then mark an 1/8" down off the header. Lay the story pole down on the edge of the door, line up the 1/8" mark with the top of the door and transfer your hinge pocket marks. 90% of the time the hinge pockets will be the same distance on ever door from the header. The 1/8" mark will give you the proper reveal at the head.

Your biggest issue will be if the house has settled and the latch side is lower than the hinge, putting your header out of level. In which case you will have to saw cut the head of the door to match the angle of the jamb.

If you have any questions I would be happy to help. I have milled many doors and made many wood jambs to match doors and vise versa.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect you know this now, it is always best to hang and fit the doors, then paint them, unless you want to re-paint them...

The story pole is a great suggestion, also use a carpenters rule instead of a measuring tape, they can be off as much as a 1/16" or more at times, if you do use a tape use the same one. Use a sharp pencil and a combination square for your marks. Tack a 1/8" spacer at the top of the story pole, lets it grab the top of the door and give you the spacing. Some doors if they are tight need about a 5-10 degree bevel on the striker side as the diagonal measurement of the door can be larger than the frame. Also get a framing square and check the door jambs before you mortise so you know what you are dealing with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom