Armadillos can jump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had them come right next to me while hunting and I would be sitting on the ground at that time and I have reached out and tapped on one .
It went almost 3 feet straight up.
Landed and ran about 4 feet and all of the sudden forgot what it jumped for and began smelling and looking for bugs in the ground.

It sniffed me out and raised it's head and stood up 2 times on it's way towards me before I tapped it.
I squeaked like a little mouse when it was looking my way and that calmed it and it went back onto all 4 legs and looking for food.

Had a skunk walking my way about 15 feet away. I talked to it lightly as to not let it get startled.
I paid no mind to me at all.
Just walked on by.

Dillers never peed on me and I have hand caught a few of them

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the funniest things I ever saw,,,
Was a very young feral kitten,,,
Stalking a very young 'dillo.

I had just got in my car to head for work,,,
I noticed one of the feral kittens stalking something.

I couldn't see what it was hunting so I thought field mouse,,,
Then the young lion charged and pounced on his prey.

That little 'dillo jumped a foot in the air,,,
The feline circled for another run.

I was late for work that day,,,
I sat in my car and laughed my arse off for 15 minutes.

I didn't own a smart phone at the time,,,
Or I would have had prize winning video of the hunt.

Aarond

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I was about 12 or so, my best friend and I were out at my grandparents house in Asher and were on our way to their neighbors property to go fishing. We had to cross over a barb wire fence to get to their pond. My friend was about to cross the fence and we heard a heck of a rustle coming toward us and we froze. All of a sudden this monster of an armadillo (yeah, I'm sure it was just normal size) burst out of the underbrush and saw us. I'm not sure who was more scared, him or us. He jumped about as high as the fence, turned around upon landing and booked back the way he came.

We talked about that "monster" the whole day. [emoji38]

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had no idea how high they could jump until I shot right under one's belly. I swear it went four feet straight up. I about wet myself.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took this picture in 1984. It was published in my college's yearly art magazine.

IMG_1920.JPG

And you always wondered about the inspiration of those stuffed armadillos 'drinking' a beer.......

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made $5 off an armadillo once.
I was with a friend out in a large field near his house & I saw a dillo wandering around about 100 yards down the side of a hill.
I bet him $5 i could sneak up on it & kick it. (I had done it before)
I made sure I stayed on its back side & just walked right up to it & gave it a swift kick in the behind, it jumped about 2 feet & ran to to creek further down the hill.
Looking back, I should have bet more than $5.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw in a show that you aren’t supposed to touch them because they can have leprosy. I had one in my back yard about two years ago and my dogs were trying to play with it. It was trying to get out but couldn’t find where it came in. I guess it was too scared. I went out and lifted the fence up a bit and it ran out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom