AT&T U-Verse TV/Interweb vs. COX TV/Interweb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a Cox subscriber currently, but only because it is my only viable option, speaking strictly of internet service. Satellite Internet has too much latency and my only other option is Windstream, which sucks unholy donkey balls. Cox hasn't been bad, per say, but I think the speeds are 'fair' for the cost, at best, and said cost keeps raising. I don't need their BS add-on services, I just need 'net access. I'd rather not pay for the extras, if it meant lowering my bill.

Google, please make my life complete!

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the sake of not starting a new thread, Im going to piggy back off of this one. I have considered switching to U-Verse from Cox. My bill from Cox increased from $80~ to about $140 prompting me to get a quote from AT&T for $91 (slightly more channels and higher internet speeds). I haggled with Cox and ironically they found a way to match the $91, I dont know which way I should go.

I have two concerns, my first concern for those of you who have AT&T is how consistent does AT&T stay with their rates AFTER the initial year of promotional rates expires? Can you haggle them like Cox to keep them the same? How much do those rates increase from your experience?

Second, is internet concerns. My speed with Cox is 12 down but I can catch it at 15/16mbps regularly on speedtest. The AT&T quote was for 18 down. Is AT&Ts internet that horrible that it would still under perform what I have from Cox? I do game on occasion so this may be a deal breaker if it effects online play.

Last edited:

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AT&T offered me a google tablet and a $150 (maybe it was $100 Im not sure) gift card for joining. I feel like they may be trying to catch me in their web.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For the sake of not starting a new thread, Im going to piggy back off of this one. I have considered switching to U-Verse from Cox. My bill from Cox increased from $80~ to about $140 prompting me to get a quote from AT&T for $91 (slightly more changes and higher internet speeds). I haggled with Cox and ironically they found a way to match the $91, I dont know which way I should go.

I have two concerns, my first concern for those of you who have AT&T is how consistent does AT&T stay with their rates AFTER the initial year of promotional rates expires? Can you haggle them like Cox to keep them the same? How much do those rates increase from your experience?

Second, is internet concerns. My speed with Cox is 12 down but I can catch it at 15/16mbps regularly on speedtest. The AT&T quote was for 18 down. Is AT&Ts internet that horrible that it would still under perform what I have from Cox? I do game on occasion so this may be a deal breaker if it effects online play.

I did the bundle for a year and after that my monthly fees increased $50

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats what Im afraid of. How successful were you with trying to stop or mitigate the increase?

With Cox I can at least argue that my mom (my bill is under her name) has been with them since dinosaurs walked. With AT&T I have no leg to stand on.

RichardA76

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just call Cox every few months and get the "new" package deal or what ever else they have going. No AT&T service allowed where I am. No biggy. All in all they are roughly the same any way. Price and service. You will loose some to gain the other.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thats what Im afraid of. How successful were you with trying to stop or mitigate the increase?

With Cox I can at least argue that my mom (my bill is under her name) has been with them since dinosaurs walked. With AT&T I have no leg to stand on.

Well, they were willing to negotiate and get it back down to a comparable cost (within $10), but I ended up dropping the Cable and Phone, and upgrading the internet. They def started to negotiate harder when I told them I was prepared to drop everything. All I have now is the fastest internet package which they cut the price in half.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the sake of not starting a new thread, Im going to piggy back off of this one. I have considered switching to U-Verse from Cox. My bill from Cox increased from $80~ to about $140 prompting me to get a quote from AT&T for $91 (slightly more changes and higher internet speeds). I haggled with Cox and ironically they found a way to match the $91, I dont know which way I should go.

My bill went up $50 also. But that's in the pricing and they don't try to hide it. It's part of their "promotion" to get you to sign, they knock off $50 a month for the 1st year.

As for internet speed it's going to depend on your location as in how far you are from their switch. I'm a good 7000' from the one I'm hooked to. This info came from a tech that had to replace the main computer unit outside once.
I get around 11.5-11.8 down all the time and am on the 12 plan. He said that I would not get any more speed if I upgraded so I haven't. But the 12 is good enough for me anyway. My SIL has the 18 down and he gets it. He games all the time and he likes Uverse far better than Cox. Bottom line is to find out how far you are from a switch when they show up to install. Ask them about it and they will give you the real deal unlike the CS reps that will say that you can get any speed you want. They see the service availability at your address and will tell you that you can have anything. The install techs won't jack you around like that. If they say you can only get 6 down, just cancel the install and call CS back and pitch a fit. It won't cost you anything, just don't cancel Cox until after your install.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ATT u verse if you get the faster speed. Mine works well with multiple devices and cost about the same and is never down. The u verse tv is good but we cancelled it because the price kept going up just like cox did when we had it. Now its bunny ears and netflix through the speedy internets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom