AT&T U-Verse TV/Interweb vs. COX TV/Interweb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Necro thread I know but I have a Cox question. My mom finally upgraded her TV to something modern after two years of prodding. I remember from many moons ago that with Cox digital service you had to have their digital box to get digital HD service. Is this still the case? Because I can only get the new TV to find 56 analog and 55 digital channels while the TV in the other room with the digital box gets all 300 that's on their service. Channels above 700 on the new one (that's not getting all the channels in the channel search) are digital, 1080p and HD. Anybody got any insight? :anyone:

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a basic 4 year old or so 42" 1080p Vizio, I get local channels in HD on the 1000 range on the cox basic package. No box needed - cable straight into the tuner. Like, maybe 10 HD channels. My neighbor confirm this.

My super cheap Toshiba 720p 32" in the bedroom will not get them. I suspect the tuner won't process that high of a range. No big deal to me.

So the answer is... it depends on your TV.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have Cox here and just checked my upload and download speeds. I got 62.96 download and 24.86 upload on PCPitstop site. I have
the $55 a month internet service. Cox is lying outfit just like ATT but only two choices here. Supposedly this service is for one year price
guaranteed. I have had Cox for years but you really have to watch them. Threats to cancel help but I am hoping for some free wi-fi
service like Google put in Pryor, OK. If I could get free wi-fi I would tell Cox where to shove it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cards that's interesting. What she had was an outdated when bought flat screen HDTV "monitor". No hdmi ports and I'm not sure that it even did anything except analog. My step dad bought it thinking since it was "HD" it was state of the art. She had Cox out at least a half dozen times trying to get their box to work. But she was unable to get any local channels through that digital box on this set. Note that the set in the bedroom has no issues at all.

So she eventually had them take the digital box off of this set because she wants her locals worse than cable. So I've been telling her every time that she gripes that HBO and everything else works on the bedroom set but not in the LR that it's not Cox it's that junk TV that my step dad bought. If she has to go to another digital box and has these same issues my head will explode along with hers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cards that's interesting. What she had was an outdated when bought flat screen HDTV "monitor". No hdmi ports and I'm not sure that it even did anything except analog. My step dad bought it thinking since it was "HD" it was state of the art. She had Cox out at least a half dozen times trying to get their box to work. But she was unable to get any local channels through that digital box on this set. Note that the set in the bedroom has no issues at all.

So she eventually had them take the digital box off of this set because she wants her locals worse than cable. So I've been telling her every time that she gripes that HBO and everything else works on the bedroom set but not in the LR that it's not Cox it's that junk TV that my step dad bought. If she has to go to another digital box and has these same issues my head will explode along with hers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey SR, did you try swapping the TV's? I have 2 identical 47 inch Vizio HDTV's and the one in the bedroom I thought was messed up because of a similar situation with Cable One company, but when I switched the TV's out on the box, the bedroom TV worked like it should in the living room. I called cable one and told the rep what I discovered and she said that the box I had in the bedroom was a standard receiver box, not HD and its prgramming was different than the other box. That was the problem I had. It was going to cost an extra 15 bucks per month for HD in the bedroom for the HD box because the box itself is needed to pick up those extra channels. There was nothing wrong with my TV's. I waited for my 3 month package to expire, then I had Cable One come get their equipment and went back to o.t.a. digital antenna and my internet apps. I enjoy the hell out of my rabbit TV and netflix. I went from 90 bucks a month (3 month discounted price) to paying an average of approx. $9.80 per month. This scenario works for me because I don't watch alot of television. My main channel is Fox 18 and that's on antenna here in Duncan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom