Auto Reset Metal Targets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The mention of falling plate targets reminded me of something I'd been wondering about - portable auto-reset metal targets, like this one:

[Broken External Image]

I like the idea of being able to shoot metal targets repeatedly with a 9mm or .45 ACP pistol, say at 10 yards, without having to go forward of the line to reset the targets. I can see where I'd set up such an apparatus at a range that permits it and where such equipment normally is not available.

However, the safety aspect worries me - i.e., ricochets. Off the legs or some vertical, immovable part of the apparatus. Hitting the targets too high up, etc. Also, I wonder if these gadgets are durable enough to warrant the cost and bother of buying and transporting.

I'd like to hear the thoughts of you folks who've bought or used an auto-reset metal target array. Thanks!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From shooting matches at steel I can tell you someone gets hit with shrapnel at every match. Never bad but enough to remind you safety gear needs to be on all the time.

Thanks, PD. I assume the shrapnel is usually from the jacket on the bullet? That's what I see most often coming back down range at the indoor firing range.

Anyone else have any comments?

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the members of our little group brought over 3 versions of resetable targets, 2 for rimfire and one large one for 9mm and 45. We have a ball with them and as said sure beats having to walk down to reset them.

No worries about shrapnel with the rimfire targets as we are at least 25 yards away and the bullets seem to just disintegrate. Not had any issues with the large one at 15 yards with 9mm pistols shooting FMJ but guess it could happen. Most of the metal parts are angled down and the ones that aren't are pretty flimsy like the leg braces. If they were hit doubt it would ricochet.

Not sure of the manufacture as all the labels are long gone. Looks sorta like the one in the above picture but the legs are 1/8 steel with the 1/8 side facing the shooter. If a leg was hit all I can think of is it would be deflected off to the side a little.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a similar target to the one pictured. I've never been hit by any shrapnel, but every time I hit it, I can hear bullet bits raining down in the leaves.

-S

Celer_Silens_Mortalis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to get steel targets such as this one? I tried to order one from an internet site and when i got it, the metal was rusted and it did not look like the picture. Anyone know of a good honest place to get any of these? PM me with info please. I am still looking.

Celer_Silens_Mortalis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try Glenn at Lewis Manf.
We have been using several of their metal from short range pistol tree to 400 yard swinger/gongs.
Website is: http://www.lewismanufacturingco.com/
If he doesn't have it, he can make it.
TB

Thank you for the info, i will look them up. I am trying to find some steal targets for indoor comp. I know shooting steal indoors is not the best idea, but if i can find the right ones i will give it a try. I will take them on the range first to make sure they are not going to have to much spray before i have others shoot them. call me crazy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom