Range Ability with Your Handgun(s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The standard controllability test that GunSite used when I taught there, was 5 rounds at 25 yards in 5 seconds from the holster in a 10" circle centered on the target. This was a minimum, and I can usually get this drill done in the middle 3s with about half that size group, but I've been at this stuff for a while.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The standard controllability test that GunSite used when I taught there, was 5 rounds at 25 yards in 5 seconds from the holster in a 10" circle centered on the target. This was a minimum, and I can usually get this drill done in the middle 3s with about half that size group, but I've been at this stuff for a while.
Dam at 25 yds 3.5 secs 5 rds in a 5 in circle. Dam thats some good shooting. You should video that.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2" @ 15 yards and 4" @ 25 yards is all I'm good for with slow, deliberate 5-round groups with a pistol that I can shoot well.

Les Baer, Wilson Combat, or CZs...still only 4" @ 25. A nice, tuned Smith or Colt revolver...still only 4" @ 25. There is a trend here. 😄

I do shoot Bill drills very infrequently at 15 yards with my carry guns (about quarterly Ill shoot a couple drills). My standard is 6 for 6 inside 10" in 3 seconds from a low ready. I'll freely admit that once I try faster, I'll start dropping. I'm no Kurt. 😁 I'm about the same time for a failure to stop from the draw...which I think is the FBI standard.

For my Marine brethren, I was a pretty habitual 370's qualifier with the service pistol. Not good enough to be competitive, but good enough to let me compete. My final service pistol match, I was 33rd out of 200 IIRC. I always did better with the rifle.

Now, I do shoot a metric butt-load (it is a unit of measurement) of skunks, armadillos, and snakes with my daily carry pistol. My ability to draw and hit a small moving target is MUCH better now than when I was in.

About a month ago I picked off a cotton mouth at about 15 yards as it was swimming towards my daughters. First shot was an admitted whiff, but #2 connected with the head.

Nothing like a little added stress.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taking my time and not getting in any big hurry.....with my .45 1911's, .357 revolvers and my one 9mm at 25 yds. I'm pretty good about keeping them on the 8" plate and can even make the 6" plate rock on a good day.

Granted I won't be representing the U.S.A. at the next Olympics but I have fun and that's all that matters to me.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We all possess handguns we love/like/tolerate. How good are we? Shooting at paper targets at what distance. Shooting are metal targets at what distance.
I go to the range weekly and think my abilities are decent but nothing to really compare too. (forget the you-tube videos of the pro shooters at steel challenge. Five improbable hits in 2 1/2 seconds). Cheez !

How about your abilities?

And . . . do any of you get together as a shooting group?
Go to some matches at OKCGC and watch the first time if you feel intimidated.
You will see a range of shooters from Grandmasters to Beginners and most are inbetween.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to some matches at OKCGC and watch the first time if you feel intimidated.
You will see a range of shooters from Grandmasters to Beginners and most are inbetween.
Or go to OKCGC USPSA match and shoot with them. There will be plenty of friendly and willing folks there to answer questions and talk to you about the match and help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom