Bad news from the mechanic...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to offend you but its going to be hard to keep a vehicle that old and not have to the ability to work/fix it yourself. There is really nothing wrong with that until it comes time for major repairs.

Most people I know would ditch the crappy AMC 258 and swap in a fuel injected Chevrolet engine. This is very popular to do but it can be expensive also unless you would be willing to do a lot of the labor.

Eric67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As the others have said the way to save the most money is do the work yourself. I would tear into it and see what damage is done, you may not need a whole engine. The head is most likely ok and the block may be ok if it didn't punch part of the rod through it. If it just gouged the cylinder you could always sleeve it. Cranks can be welded and reground.

You have a lot of options less than 4k I think.

The option I recommend is self serving though, cut your losses and sell it to me as is:Heya:

I've been looking for a jeep project for a while

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a scrambler back in the day. it had a 258 inline six cyl engine. plastic valve cover that always leaks oil? funny thing is my buddies ran an ad in one of those cheap penny papers that said" Jeep scrambler for sale ,leaks water in and oil out". some fella called me on that ad and I sold it. they quit laughing.

You probably should have kept the Scrambler. Those are some of the most desirable CJs built. I have seen factory CJ8s going for in excess of $12k before the economic downturn...

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good Evening, Everyone.

Well, I'm not sure how to approach this, but I occasionally post a comment or two on here and have really enjoyed getting to read all the threads. In summary, I have a 1983 Jeep CJ-7 that is (perhaps was) a favorite toy.

Driving it two days ago I experienced a series of what can only be described as not-so-good noises emanating from the engine. I just had the Jeep in the shop for some other work, and I'm informed this evening that a rod has broken loose in the engine and the nominal fee will be a whopping $3,700 to replace the clutch and entire engine (mechanic recommended replacing the clutch since the engine would be out, but it's not mandatory).

I'm really just asking for your thoughts on this issue. I've had the Jeep for 7 years and was planning on selling it eventually, but I just put brand new tires on it, got it fixed up (previous visit to the shop for new muffler, carb work, etc).

Is there a less expensive way to go? I'm looking for any suggestions you folks might have, and they are greatly appreciated. I'm not ready to drop the $4k on it yet, so I'm just going to have it towed back to the house for now until I can figure out a good plan. If you prefer, you can PM me.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jerry

That should be a 258cid straight 6 engine. You may be able to find a salvage engine for far less. OR I have head of people putting the small Ford 302cid engine with no mods to the engine compartment. You will have to change motor mounts but it still won't cost $3700.00 to do it. I would try the straight 6 from a salvage yard first.

Jerryinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Jerry I'm afraid going to the salvage yard and pulling an engine isn't going to be your fix. I've been into Jeeps for a few years and I have been to many junk yards all over Ok and if your lucky enough to find a Jeep you can bet it will just be a shell. Jeeps in salvage yards are nonexistent. Here are a couple guys you can call that can help. I'll put them in the order I would call.
1. Bob Supplee, Wonderful guy who has a Jeep 4x4 shop. 405-799-8977
2. I-35 Sports and Imports, these guys sell Jeeps and know where to find parts. They could have an engine there in the shop. 405-799-8585
3. Jerry @ Custom Off Road. Jerry is a good guy, his place is next door to H&H
Gun Range. He might know someone who has an engine. 405-943-2673
4. 4Wheel Parts. These guys know the community but will more than likely try to sell you a new engine. Ask for Mark. 405-912-7881
One thing for sure about the Jeep community, a case of beer will get all kinds of guys over to help you rebuild it.

You guys are great, thanks! I'll make some calls today.

Not to offend you but its going to be hard to keep a vehicle that old and not have to the ability to work/fix it yourself. There is really nothing wrong with that until it comes time for major repairs.

Most people I know would ditch the crappy AMC 258 and swap in a fuel injected Chevrolet engine. This is very popular to do but it can be expensive also unless you would be willing to do a lot of the labor.

No offense taken at all - you raise an excellent point. I'm blessed to be in a position that keeps me focused on my two children and 10 employees (small business owner). Unfortunately, that means I can't (won't) devote the time to learn the process of putting in a new motor. Does this cost me money over time? Yes, but 2 hours spent shooting or hiking with my boys on a Saturday afternoon is more important to me at this time in my life. I do understand that the engine work would be a good learning experience for me and the boys, but it's just not in the cards.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/sto...GM-ENGINE-1971-1985-New-10067353-P62C273.aspx

Brand new GM 350 crate motor with a 4 bolt main; $1,695.35

You'll have a few bucks in an induction system, starter, wiring harness, exhaust and conversion parts, but it would be a hell of a lot better than $3,700 for a rebuilt 258.

Thanks, Glock. I'd pay someone $1,000 to do the work, and that saves me $1,300. Problem solved! Guess that 350 would suck the fuel?

If the Jeep is not a daily driver and you have some time, swap that motor yourself! It is not a hard job and you'll learn a few things along the way.

Flat, again, all excellent points. Time and inclination aren't there, though.

As the others have said the way to save the most money is do the work yourself. I would tear into it and see what damage is done, you may not need a whole engine. The head is most likely ok and the block may be ok if it didn't punch part of the rod through it. If it just gouged the cylinder you could always sleeve it. Cranks can be welded and reground.

You have a lot of options less than 4k I think.

The option I recommend is self serving though, cut your losses and sell it to me as is:Heya:

I've been looking for a jeep project for a while

I just my consider that, but this has been a great weekend vehicle for 7 years, it's just now time to pay-up!

That should be a 258cid straight 6 engine. You may be able to find a salvage engine for far less. OR I have head of people putting the small Ford 302cid engine with no mods to the engine compartment. You will have to change motor mounts but it still won't cost $3700.00 to do it. I would try the straight 6 from a salvage yard first.

Thanks, Higgim. Thanks Everyone for their comments. It's great to have this forum available with so much knowledge.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I would go with this guys advice myself. Most likely you have a AMC engine now unless you changed it previously. Ford converts easier with AMC than GM especially tranny. You can find rebuilt straight six with warranty for under 1500 easy and keep it original as possible(my personal preference). Those straight 6 are good motors.

Search online for AMC crate engine remanufactured 258 or something and see what you can do.
No conversions, this is what you probably already have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom