Barrel for feeder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been on craigslist looking for barrels to make a feeder. I see food grade plastic ones and then steel barrels that look clean. Does anyone have advice? Would a plastic barrel withstand the legs and the weight of corn?

Is it worth trying to make one?

Get a steel barrel from Strohs surplus in Okarche. Good, clean barrels with water tight lids.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the last 15 years, all of the big cottonwoods that we've had feeders hung in have died, so I've been forced to go to legs on all my feeders.
It's different this year. I have some trees near by, but on the neighbor. Still use a feeder on legs.
In the last 20 years, some sunflower stalks were the biggest things within 1/2 mile of my stand. Killed a lot of deer out of that stand.
Hunting open ground is a whole different number than wooded areas. Each has their own challenges.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's different this year. I have some trees near by, but on the neighbor. Still use a feeder on legs.
In the last 20 years, some sunflower stalks were the biggest things within 1/2 mile of my stand. Killed a lot of deer out of that stand.
Hunting open ground is a whole different number than wooded areas. Each has their own challenges.

That's kind of funny, because I AM THE NEIGHBOR WITH THE TREES. My neighbors set up their stands and feeders along my fences to hunt their open ground.:blush:

Latest posts

Top Bottom