Bathroom repair question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I have a marble'ish jacuzzi tub in our master bathroom. It sits in a little niche in the wall, and the top side of the tub is surrounded by rectangular marble pieces up against the dry wall to keep the walls from getting wet. The caulking on the top of them is shriveling up, and one of them is loose because of it. What sort of caulking or adhesive should I use on these to make sure they don't come completely off?

Popjim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a lot of Tile Caulk & Adhesive product available at Lowes and Home Depot. I recently used the Locktite brand caulk and adhesive that worked well.

You might go by the Floorhaus, 12105 Memorial, there in Bixby. They can probably give you good advise and probably have the product in stock.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try lock tight poly seam seal. It is actually a glue, but it dries gloss white. Its much more permanent than any caulk you can buy.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of ten penney nails should do it.

Seriously, it sounds like something I would either have a professional repair or at least ask someone who works with marble tiles for a living how to repair.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the tub, and the rectangular pieces are "cultured" marble? If so they most likely used caulk to hold them to the wall, then caulked them in. I would use silicone behind it to hold it on, and silicone tub caulk to fill the gaps. This is a potentially wet area, you want the silicone there to keep moisture from getting behind the wall pieces.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ripped out a tub that has the cultured marble that you describe....when I ripped it out, I noticed that the marble pieces were glued to the drywall board and then siliconed in. I am wondering if this is something you should do?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just ripped out a tub that has the cultured marble that you describe....when I ripped it out, I noticed that the marble pieces were glued to the drywall board and then siliconed in. I am wondering if this is something you should do?

They typically use whatever tube is open to fix it to the wall, construction adhesive would be best, anything used will only hold as well as the condition of the drywall behind it.

if you do rip it out go back with the cement backer board.

Best solution for a rip and replace, not SOP for most new construction though, might be lucky to have blueboard instead of standard drywall for most...

Latest posts

Top Bottom