Beef Tri Tip Steaks...taking suggestions on how to cook

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyRumore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Okies don't have the right kind of cookers for doing a Santa Maria California Tri-Tip.
You need an open pit big wood BBQ that has a grill that cranks up and down to adjust the heat. Wood is Red Oak.
I still have mine that I built back in 1986 when I lived in San Luis Obispo, CA.

Tony

Ozark Tracker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, here's how my California to Arkansas wife does it, she's been cooking them for 25 years, take your tri tip marinade with Mccormicks southwest marinade, overnight, inject with butter with pepper mixed in, wrap in foil, put on your grill, cook 25 minutes to the side, unwrap and remove foil, let the tri tip brown, dont' burn it but you want it pretty brown, just a better flavor, when you slice it, go against the grain as slice very thin. we cook some at least 2 or 3 times a month summer and winter, it'll come out really good

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, here's how my California to Arkansas wife does it, she's been cooking them for 25 years, take your tri tip marinade with Mccormicks southwest marinade, overnight, inject with butter with pepper mixed in, wrap in foil, put on your grill, cook 25 minutes to the side, unwrap and remove foil, let the tri tip brown, dont' burn it but you want it pretty brown, just a better flavor, when you slice it, go against the grain as slice very thin. we cook some at least 2 or 3 times a month summer and winter, it'll come out really good

What else do you serve with it?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Okies don't have the right kind of cookers for doing a Santa Maria California Tri-Tip.
You need an open pit big wood BBQ that has a grill that cranks up and down to adjust the heat. Wood is Red Oak.
I still have mine that I built back in 1986 when I lived in San Luis Obispo, CA.

Tony

This is true. It's not barbecue, like we know it, but whatever you call it it's darn good.

I season my tri tip in a marinade of cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, cumin, chile powder, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder. Blend it up until it's like a pesto. It's a bit different than the standard recipe but I love it.

Then I throw some stick of pecan or oak on one side of my propane grill, light that side only, and move the steak (or roast) closer/further as needed. This is the best way to simulate the California cooking style at home.

Flank steaks work really well too, if you can't source the tri tip. I usually serve it with beans (just pinto beans simmered with beer, cilantro, lime, chile powder, onions) and a green salad with a vinaigrette dressing.

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just locate yourself some head country seasoning; sprinkle it all over the steak; let the steak come to room temperature; fire up your grill to 'bout 400; throw steak on grill; cook to your likin'; eat. serve with corn on the cob and baked tater.

Trashboat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like my tips wrapped with bacon. It's best served with cole slaw. I like to sing the national anthem and pop fireworks while the tips cook. It is a really good evening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom