• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Beef

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
They are not usda inspected.
Not always accurate. The folks I listed are USDA inspected, but that doesn't always mean graded. They've been graded before --- it was usually prime, but they have received higher ratings before. The grading, from what I understand, is an additional service.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks for the input guys, Ill start checking prices/availability.

I can’t help you right now, but hit me up late spring if you need more. I’ll be butchering 10-15 head through the year starting in May-ish.

Not sure I have enough to last until Spring, but may try to set something for late summer, depending on what I end up with now. I've done something like this for a few years now, would like to continue. I've bought from different folks and not set on any rancher in particular. Timing and freeezer space factors into it also.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks for the input guys, Ill start checking prices/availability.

Not sure I have enough to last until Spring, but may try to set something for late summer, depending on what I end up with now. I've done something like this for a few years now, would like to continue. I've bought from different folks and not set on any rancher in particular. Timing and freeezer space factors into it also.
Yea I completely get it. I’ll probably get a couple of slaughter days set, and then it’ll just be when someone wants a 1/4 or 1/2. I think it’s better that way, so people can request how they want it cut.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When buying locally, is the assumption that the cuts are at least choice grade? Or would they be select or worse?
This depends upon the farmer and the animal. Animals which are lower fat or have the fat more spread through the body are graded lower. Leaner generally lower grade, not less flavorful or tougher. Some people equate lean with tough. I have seen tough in both lean and heavy marbling. calm cattle are more tender. Less anxiety less tension. It really does make a difference. Grass fed better fat quality imho. We raise grass fed and add feeds based on beets, molasses, corn, wheat, etc. A wide variety gives a good character. Personally, I like Highland, Galloway, and Jersey. Some of our customers prefer high marbling so we have those options as well. The breed gives certain characteristics, your farmer should know generally where their animals lign up. Talk with the farmer. Most of us are humane and working towards a good quality product.

All said, I have already sold out as have my buddies but we are around Muskogee.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you are looking at buying a steer, better check with timing on Slaughter house. Most WERE 6-9 months out.

Prairie Rose Processing in Chickasha sells 1/4 and 1/2, or will process your beef. Outstanding quality and service.
Highly recommended

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
image.jpg

I’ve got a half dozen steers and bulls I’ve held over to go to feed if someone’s interested, but they have been on grass and cubes up to this point so they wouldn’t be ready for a little while. If you wanted to get a date at a slaughter house I could start feeding in prep for that date.

Latest posts

Top Bottom