Been thinkin' about an AR, got a Mini-14 instead.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread turned out almost as good as Ruger GP100 vs S&W 686 and Glock vs 1911.

More like Glock 26 vs P938 - one is a proven self-defense/law-enforcement/military/match gun, the other one "looks like 1911" .... but holds even less rounds, has no barrel bushing, and has 8lb SA trigger ...

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The young ones know all, they told me so. Leave it at that.
I'm not as old as LW (no offense meant, sir), but I grew up working with veterans of the Viet Nam war who cussed the M-16 as an unreliable poodle shooter every time the subject of rifles came up. Those same men praised the M-14, and some, even older, praised the mighty M1 Garand, and to a man they believed that the Mini-14, which shared the same rotating bolt action with those older rifles, was a much better rifle than the AR-15. As a wet-behind-the-ears kid, I listened to my elders and bought a Ruger Mini-14 for $400 when the only AR-15 then available carried the Colt name and sold for $1000. It was the first center-fire rifle I'd ever shot, and I loved it. It was followed by another Mini or two, and a trio of commercial M-1 carbines, which also used the rotating bolt style action. I learned to shoot a rifle using those old wood-and-metal guns, and I much preferred the Mini's resemblance to those old main battle rifles over the plastic, kid's gun look of the AR-15, and I was around men who felt the same way. So, many years later, after marriage, a child, then divorce, I found myself without a center fire rifle in my stable. Given my experience, which dates back almost thirty years now, there was no question in my mind about which rifle to buy. I bought a Mini-14, and I made NO mistake in so doing.
Time has passed, AR-15 reliability has improved, and a new generation of combat vets are championing the AR-15. Good for them! They can just keep buying them. As for me, I'll stick with the rifles of my youth, the old tried and true Mini-14 and the M1A.

Latest posts

Top Bottom