Mini 14 magazine issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did get a chance to test a little. Not enough ammo to test as much as I would like. 4, 30 rd Promags fired. 1 failure to feed. Soon as I can afford more ammo I will test more. And I was right about one thing, the plastic mags have a smaller inside length requiring a shorter overall cartridge length. Factory 55 gr and 62 gr 5.56 FMJ seemed to work best.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I did get a chance to test a little. Not enough ammo to test as much as I would like. 4, 30 rd Promags fired. 1 failure to feed. Soon as I can afford more ammo I will test more. And I was right about one thing, the plastic mags have a smaller inside length requiring a shorter overall cartridge length. Factory 55 gr and 62 gr 5.56 FMJ seemed to work best.

Have you used any steel case yet

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not yet. Soon as I get some I will test that too.
The Russian steel case ammo is all over the place as in over all length. My Galil hates it. Won’t run reliably with it. That says a lot for an AK pattern weapon.

I used my vernier calipers on the ammo. I don’t remember what the numbers were but if I recall right it was about 15 thousand over or under. So that’s about a 30 thousands spread. So some of those plastic mags may have clearance issues.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Russian steel case ammo is all over the place as in over all length. My Galil hates it. Won’t run reliably with it. That says a lot for an AK pattern weapon.

I used my vernier calipers on the ammo. I don’t remember what the numbers were but if I recall right it was about 15 thousand over or under. So that’s about a 30 thousands spread. So some of those plastic mags may have clearance issues.
Sounds like it. They hate some ballistic tip ammo I have that feeds fine from a Ruger steel 20rd mag. It is just a little longer and drags the bullet nose down inside the plastic mags.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prepare for glory!!!...... Expect agony!!
I am a huge fan of the M1/M14 weapon system. Matter of fact my last job in the Corps was building the M-14 for the Service rifle teams. I really tried to like the Mini-14, but I can't! Nothing that worked to make M1/M14 accurate works on the Mini. They are finicky on the best of days and down right unreliable on most, even with Ruger mags. I would bet that none of the 55 gr. ball, 69 grain Federal match, nor the Mark 262 Mod 1 ammo you have tried grouped well, nor did any of it feed better than anything else you tried. Take heart! It isn't your eye sight that is messing up it's the Mini!

I know you don't like the AR-15, neither did I. I thought they were worse than Satan in church! Then I started playing with them. As it stands right now I would take a parts built AR over any Mini, and this coming from a guy who still would take a M-14 over any other rifle in the world.... As long as I build it, or Ron Smith or Clint McKey.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prepare for glory!!!...... Expect agony!!
I am a huge fan of the M1/M14 weapon system. Matter of fact my last job in the Corps was building the M-14 for the Service rifle teams. I really tried to like the Mini-14, but I can't! Nothing that worked to make M1/M14 accurate works on the Mini. They are finicky on the best of days and down right unreliable on most, even with Ruger mags. I would bet that none of the 55 gr. ball, 69 grain Federal match, nor the Mark 262 Mod 1 ammo you have tried grouped well, nor did any of it feed better than anything else you tried. Take heart! It isn't your eye sight that is messing up it's the Mini!

I know you don't like the AR-15, neither did I. I thought they were worse than Satan in church! Then I started playing with them. As it stands right now I would take a parts built AR over any Mini, and this coming from a guy who still would take a M-14 over any other rifle in the world.... As long as I build it, or Ron Smith or Clint McKey.
That is okay, a lot of guys here have the same mental issue. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to a cure. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Latest posts

Top Bottom