Bergara B-14 HMR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am really considering my next gun purchase to be a Bergara B-14 HMR. Have heard a lot of good things from folks about them, yet didn't find many posts regarding them. Any opinions?

Also, haven't really settled on what caliber I would like. Already have a Remington 700 AAC in 308, so wanted to pick up something different. They offer it in 22-250, which I loved for prairie dogs, but seldom get to do it. They also have 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 win mag, and 300 PRC. The Creedmoor rounds seems to have mixed reviews and the PRC seems like it has nice ballistics but the availability seems limited and I don't currently reload. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just looked it up. Looks like a fine rifle with an adjustable stock, etc.
I'm into hyper velocity small bullets for hunting whitetail on down, and a 55 grain bullet will do the job once selecting the correct bullet.
Speed kills, and the 52 grain bullet in .22-250 is legal for deer in Ok as well as prairie dogs. That bullet will get 4000 fps with a 24" barrel.
Spitballing here without looking it up but a well constructed 55 gain bullet good for deer will run in the 3500 to 3600 fps if I remember right. That will take a deer out in a hearbeat destroying the innards.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bergara makes a great rifle and the B-14 HMR is a fantastic option that lives between a hunting a rifle and a precision rifle.

I'm not sure where you've heard 6.5 creedmoor mixed reviews. It's arguably one of the best short action chamberings you can buy with tons of factory support today.

There's zero reason to get a magnum like the PRC unless you know you need a magnum (or just want one).

If you want more speed a 6 creedmoor is also an option for a factory gun.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tagging @Cowcatcher he knows a thing or two about that rifle and 22-250s. I have shot a handled a couple Bergara 6.5s and they are very nice guns. I know cowcatchers is a shooter and its well built for the money.

like @k4ylr said I would avoid bigger than 6.5 unless you have a specific desire or reason for it. Also agree if they offered a 6mm cart I would suggest that. Less recoil, cheaper components and will go a long ways accurately. The 22-250 would be a really fun gun I think.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got no complaints with mine. It is chambered in 6.5cm. Nothing wrong with a 22-250 I went with the 6.5 just cuz it was the hot thing and I already had 250’s. One thing to watch for, check the box for a base. I bought one separately and when I unpacked the rifle at home I found there was a 30 Moa base included from factory tucked away in box.

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I will do some more reading on the 6.5 Creedmoor. This rifle will primarily be a range shooter; however, I wouldn't mind having one capable of dropping an elk. Have been hoping to draw a Wyoming tag and go hunting with my cousin. Thanks for the input, fellas!

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They "did" offer the Bergara in 6 Creedmoor. My grandson has one and it is a great cartridge. I don't see one in current offerings "but" there are some floating around out there. With a little patience and shopping I'm sure you could find one. For what you stated you were looking for that would be my choice, with the 6.5 Creed running a close second.
Of course my opinion and a dollar bill you could get a cup of coffee (in some places). I've shot a lot of prairie dogs and deer. If your shot placement is good, about anything works. "you can't miss them fast enough to kill them"
I shot a 250# wild hog once with a 17 HMR. One shot in the ear DRT. But, I would be the last one to recommend shopping for a 17 HMR for hog hunting. Hog was there, only gun handy was the 17. I'm not one to pass up an opportunity.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom