best 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will add that there's no such thing.

There are Colt Commanders built in the 1970s, but none of them were "Series 70".

Great pistols, to be certain...but often mis-named in internet conversations.

That is incorrect. They didn't introduce the FPS till 1983, and it's not like Colt had JUST started producing commanders. Unless, the two Colt commanders ("S70") I used to own were fake. :D

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you're a very skinny guy a full size 1911 is very easy to conceal.
Not in my experience. On the short and mildly overweight side of average, I'm unable to conceal a Charles Daly sub compact 1911. A full size would look absurdly obvious.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I read an article in some magazine (can't remember which) that rated 1911s as such.

1. wilson
2. S&W
3. Colt
4. Kimber
5. Sig

I have shot all of the above and the best I ever shot (in my personal opionion) is the springfield operator. My .02
:urwelcome:

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only put 500 rounds through my Kimber Ultra Carry II, but it hasn't missed a beat so far. A lot of that was 200 gr lead SWC reloads. No feed problems. Gotta' hang onto the thing to make it run right.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is incorrect. They didn't introduce the FPS till 1983, and it's not like Colt had JUST started producing commanders. Unless, the two Colt commanders ("S70") I used to own were fake. :D

Seriously -- there is no such thing as a "Series 70" Commander.

"Series 70" refers to 5" Government model 1911s with a collet bushing and barrel. That arrangement was never used on the Commander line.

Having a serial with "S70" (to be more correct, the serials of Combat Commanders in the 1970s actually started with "70" -- the Combat Commanders that were blued started with "70BSXXXXX" and the nickel ones started with "70SCXXXXX") does not indicate that the pistol was a "Series 70". Nor does the absence of a swartz firing-pin safety system indicate that a Colt is a "Series 70". There are actually even Commanders with 80BS and 80SC serials that are not "Series 80" pistols with the swartz system.

People like to colloquially refer to any Colt 1911 built in the 1970s prior to the introduction of the firing pin safety as being "Series 70" pistols. Unfortunately, they're not. Words mean stuff...and in this particular case, "Series 70" refers to a specific type of Colt 1911 that is not a Commander.

Here's a little reading on the subject:

It should be noted that the shorter 4 1/4" barreled Commander pistols retained the use of the older solid bushing design and thus were never designated Series 70 pistols

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nah, he's right, and true Colt enthusiasts are quick to point it out...
Seriously -- there is no such thing as a "Series 70" Commander.

"Series 70" refers to 5" Government model 1911s with a collet bushing and barrel. That arrangement was never used on the Commander line.

Having a serial with "S70" (to be more correct, the serials of Combat Commanders in the 1970s actually started with "70" -- the Combat Commanders that were blued started with "70BSXXXXX" and the nickel ones started with "70SCXXXXX") does not indicate that the pistol was a "Series 70". Nor does the absence of a swartz firing-pin safety system indicate that a Colt is a "Series 70". There are actually even Commanders with 80BS and 80SC serials that are not "Series 80" pistols with the swartz system.

People like to colloquially refer to any Colt 1911 built in the 1970s prior to the introduction of the firing pin safety as being "Series 70" pistols. Unfortunately, they're not. Words mean stuff...and in this particular case, "Series 70" refers to a specific type of Colt 1911 that is not a Commander.

Here's a little reading on the subject:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201
You are indeed right... but I don't think it's worth making an issue of. :) :blah:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hacker, re-read your initial post. There's a reason I made the FPS safety comment NOT series 70 comment in my intial reply. IN my description I then DID make a S70 but in paranthesis, just as you did.

It looked like you were saying that they never made any in the 70s without a FPS as I got the meaning of your paranthesis.

I get the nitpicky purist bit, heard it all before. It just serves no purpose when talking to most people concerning 1911, outside of collectors that dork out aboute descriptions. Problem is... everyone distinguishes them this way. Even Colt has advertised their guns as such and it trickles down to vendors. From your link.....

These are the Gunsite and CCO models, WW1 and WW2 GI replicas, and a reintroduced original-style Series 70 in both blued and stainless steel that should appeal to 1911 purists. Interestingly, all of these use a solid barrel bushing, so mechanically they are more similar to the original pre-Series 70 models despite being advertised by Colt as having a "Series 70 firing system".

In which they are correct in saying this, I just don't think they want to go through the history everytime someone asks if there is a FPS. People, vendors, and Colt apparently just say Series 70 or Series 80 to keep it simple. <-------- OH NOES!!! :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom